Goofy 300D Turbo Dieseling problem

Hi, I am getting ready to go on a long trip and I would appreciate any help/advice on this issue. I was changing my oil today and managed to get a poor seal on the new filter (totally my fault - just stupidity) and the oil that sprayed out (yes there was quite a bit) covered the driver's side of the engine compartment.

Well, I got that fixed and cleaned up - filter is fine, all new oil, good pressure, runs well...but now my car won't shut off (without hitting the red stop switch). I cleaned the engine (as much as possible) and don't know if a sensor got damaged or oil covered, or something that I can't see - and I really don't know where to start looking.

As I mentioned, I am going on a long trip this week (which is why I was changing oil, filters, etc) and would really like to fix this.

Any ideas???

The vehicle is a 1984 300 D Turbo.

Thanks

Reply to
parnold100

The engine shut down is via vacuum to a little bellows in the aft end of the injection pump. I suspect your clean up pulled that (brown) line off its connection to the bellows ..... or some other vacuum line from its connection creating a leak that's larger than the vacuum supply so no shut down. If the car's door locks are also kaput the latter is more than likely confirmed so just look about for an orphan vacuum line. If not, look at the rear of the injection pump.

Reply to
Take A Guess

Thanks, actually I did a little research and found that it was probably vacuum. 2 minute search found the problem and you are exactly right.

Take A Guess wrote:

Reply to
parnold100