have a 300SD, 240D, will and 560 SEL be as reliable?

Love these old Benzes! Looking for a nice 560 SEL to add to the collection. Got the garage space and the tools.

Reply to
robrjt

No it won't be as reliable but it'll be a helluva lot more fun.

Why not an SEC?

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Hi!

I know of certain 560 SEL/SEC models that had a single timing chain that would suddenly disintegrate. Later went to the double chain, much more reliable. Also, some of the timing chain wheels were nylon/ plastic. Also disintegrate, causing serious havoc. If you are buying a 560 SEL/SEC, make sure the retrofit was done!

gamini Weerasekera

Reply to
gw

Only US market 380's had single row timing chains. Many have been converted to double row by now.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

My next one will be a SEC. I've heard they have ultra comfortable seats. Going to get used to the 560SEL first. Its got 118k on it. Should I use mobil1 or dino w/3k changes as I do with my diesels?

Reply to
robrjt

Doesn't matter, either one is fine.

Reply to