High Quality S Klass

So my latest problem from my High Quality S Klass is that the little yellow radiator fluid lite came on Sunday just after leaving the trailer under the bridge. Started watching temp guage and it started going up so I did a U turn in the middle of the street and took it back to the trailer pad. After the steam went away and it cooled down I looked in behind the engine and in front of the fire wall where some fluid had been spurting out and splashing on the little plastic covers hiding the hamsters in their wheels or what ever they hide. There was this broken thingy. Turns out it is a plastic T that is NOT made of metal. Guess that way it can break easier and cause engine melt down which increases driver satisfaction or some such emotion. Now I sit here and contemplate putting 100K + into a new version of this that has an automatic driver feature and I just sort of get all choked up! That ole Jayde Powers gal whut duz them surveys iz sure rite on the mark!

Question - think I should have them replace all the hoses and the H2O pump while they have it there? Pump probably did run on air for a block or two.

mcbrue fluidlessly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

Nah! Just replace the plastic junk -- oops -- highly engineered, imported component.

The warning light did its job and you did yours, so no damage resulted - coolant was still squirting, not smoke billowing!

Another M-B adventure.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

All radiator hoses should be changed... they are good for 5 years with no problem... anything after that is gambling... So how much of a gambler are ya?!

Reply to
Tiger

'89 300e hoses are 17 years old and counting.... my wife likes to gamble.... I don't. Just need to keep an eye on things.....

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

5 Years is a bit conservative in my opinion, but it's true that these break down.

Usually a physical inspection of the hoses will tell you if they are toast. If they feel soft and squishy, replace them.

Also, Tigers point about gambling is true, but it's always gambling from my point of view ;~)

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Thanks! Think it is best to just go ahead and replace the 10 year old hoses on this 96. They do sort of feel soft and squishy. The shop is doing that and whatever else they can find that needs to be done so I don't need to worrry about taking a long road trip with it. The recent British stuff has changed our minds about a trip to Italy, so a road trip is in order around the western states we now think. Hence, updating hoses and whatnots. Them ole boys at smiley sams iz doin tha wurk, not Heavy Carl's stealership. Seems that the motor mounts have stopped mounting the motor. Tha boyz in tha bak does not have that problem of course!

mcbrue hosedly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

[SNIP]

I always did my hoses at ~ 100k on the Landcruiser, with all belts at ~25k. Only had one hose go south in 400k, and that was one that I just didn't see. I wondered what that extra little hose was! However, the Landcruiser saw a ton of work above 12,000' MSL, so I could not afford to have one go bad. I did travel with a full set, plus anti-freeze, but some of those buggers were tough to get to, without the Snap-ons, especially on top of the world.

On things MB, I have yet to have a car long enough to change the hoses, but have yet to have one go bad. I guess that is what I get letting my wife lease MB's and get a new one every 5 years. Of course, I have just jinxed myself and a hose will blow at 15k and I'll never hear the end of it.

At 100k, I think you are wise to just change out the bunch. Judging from my experience (thought not with MB), it's the ONE that you do not replace, that breaks!

Hunt

Reply to
Hunt

I think you'll find that in the canon known as Murphy's Law.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling