Hood Pad Glue

Would you believe dealer wanted $520+tax for '96 SL500 hood pad and istallation. Just purchase for $77 delivered. Any suggestions for a good heat resistant glue?

Reply to
MOJO80

I think I used a spray trim adhesive on mine. Auto parts stores have this type of product.

Reply to
trader4

The tried and true and what factory used is Yellow Weatherstrip Adhesive made by 3M or Permatex... sold in tube and you will need two of them. You can get this at any Pep Boys or autoparts stores.

The spray type that other people mentioned is Super 90 by 3M... this you can get at Home Depot... but I never used this for hood.. only other stuff not subjected to heat.

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

I replaced my hood pad on my 1987 300E two years ago. I used 3M Super Trim Adhesive (yellow) Part No. 08090 in a spray can. The can has a fairly high tech spray nozzle that controls the spray very well.

Clean the old material off he underside of the hood as well as you can so you are re-glueing to metal, not crusty old pad material. I used a wire brush to make sure anything left I was glueing to was stuck to the metal well. I wiped it with paint thinner (exact same product as parts cleaning solvent in the "old days' when I worked for Union 76). I masked off around the hood and covered the windshield and engine, but the #M nozzle made it pretty much unnecessary.

The secret is to spray both the pad and the underhood and wait the 10 minutes or so just as the directions on the car tell all of us impatient people to do.

Make sure you have it aligned correctly since the adhesive will stick immediately and never let go. I marked the middle and attached at the bottom of the hood at the cowl and pushed it up to center it at the top front grill then smoothed it outward at the bottom and out to the sides of the hood. I used a small paint roller to push it into contact evenly.

Not a hard job. Cleaning all the old stuff off is a nasty job that most shops will try to avoid by quoting an outrageous price. Not to mention the come-back if it falls off.

Pete Cowper (1987 300E)

Reply to
Pete Cowper

"I replaced my hood pad on my 1987 300E two years ago. I used 3M Super

Trim Adhesive (yellow) Part No. 08090 in a spray can. The can has a fairly high tech spray nozzle that controls the spray very well. "

That's what I used 5 years ago on mine and it's still doing fine!

Reply to
trader4

Where did you get your hood pad........I need one for my 1997 SL500??

Reply to
high falls doc

Where did you get your hood pad........I need one for my 1997 SL500??

Reply I bought mine from adsitco.com. I have also seen them listed at many of the auto parts stores online. I'd also try Ebay, lots of good stuff on there.

Reply to
trader4

Just pick it up at the dealer... it is not much money and when you add shipping cost to it... forget it... no saving.

Reply to
Tiger

"Just pick it up at the dealer... it is not much money and when you add

shipping cost to it... forget it... no saving. "

I think this guy would disagree:

  1. high falls doc Would you believe dealer wanted 0+tax for '96 SL500 hood pad and
Reply to
trader4

Sorry... I shouldn't have blurted out. For your hood pad, I can get it $52 delivered. The dealer price is $124.

Ya, the labor cost is stupid.

Reply to
Tiger

I paid $86.10 at the Fresno Mercedes dealer for a 1987 300E hood pad in July 2003.

I would be wary of aftermarket pads that may quickly crumble all over the engine and require re-doing the whole job. Some parts are best bought at the dealer if the price differential is not too great.

"The satisfaction of high quality lasts much longer than the elation of low price."

Pete Cowper (1987 300E)

Reply to
Pete Cowper