Interior reconditioning

Hi,

Everyone's been so wonderfully helpful, I dedcided to ask more advice. What is the best way to recondition the leather interior of my 1984

300SD so it doesn't smell like moldy ass anymore? It just smells old, and I can't figure out whether it's the carpets, the fuel leaking, the leather, the dust, or what? Everything looks clean and vacuumed.

Thanks.

Mia

Reply to
Mia

Do you want to recondition the leather or just clean it? If you're looking to recondition, leatherique. To clean, get some lexol cleaner and conditioner (carcareonline.com if you don't know where to buy it...get some lexol cotton sponges when you buy this too, 4 sponges at least), for the carpets steam clean them (if you don't own a steam cleaner, I know some grocery stores rent rug doctor's), for the plastic stuff and vinyl use vinylex (made by the lexol people).

Reply to
marlinspike

Hi Maia, had that problem myself in a second hand 190E. the previous owners apparently never cleaned under the carpets. Particularly bad if you live in areas with snow so that you can get standing water during parts of the year. In any case, do lift the molded mats (not the ones you are likely to have on top of them) out of the car, and what I did was to leave them lying in the sun for several days. the closed cell foam likely has cracks and absorbed moisture.

cheers

Reply to
Guenter Scholz