is it big deal, 1998 E320, 5w30 or 10w30, New England

Amsoil does not advertise. It is the authorized dealer of Amsoil that is doing so. They have the right to do so as some of them are really trying to make a living on this. They don't make a killing on selling the oil. They have to sell tons of oil to make a living on it.

This is a niche market for Amsoil, Redlline, Royal Purple, etc.

Reply to
Tiger

Carnut:

I am an Independent AMSOIL Dealer. I have 35 years of experience in the automotive industry working in a General Motors Parts department (I'm 57 years old). I was laid off 12-10-2008 from my job and I became an AMSOIL dealer to try and make some kind of living for my family. My wife suffered a stroke in Jan 2002 and can no longer hold regular employment.

I strongly believe in AMSOIL products and know personally that they work. I use them in my vehicles and saw an improvement in fuel mileage (about 4.5 percent increase).

AMSOIL advertises through racing sponsorships and other venues; however, every sale is credited to an independent dealer and even sales made on the AMSOIL website is credited to an independent dealer.

As part of my plan to gain a customer base, I chose to monitor several dozen newsgroups and contribute whenever possible (not just in lubricant related questions).

Currently, I am making less than $100 per month selling AMSOIL, so I'm not getting rich. I see a lot of SPAM on the USENET newsgroups and understand that what I am doing my be interpreted as SPAM by some who read my contributions - especially if I'm responding to a lubrication question and suggest using AMSOIL.

If you believe that the MB recommended oils are the best you can purchase for your money, so be it. If your curiosity gets the best of you, then you should at least look at the AMSOIL web site, read through it carefully - there is a lot of information there - and make up your own mind. A good place to start is the Comparison of Motor Oils -

In the comparison, the standard Mobil 1 products were not compared - only Mobil 1 extended performance was close enough to AMSOIL to make the comparison.

Thank you for your time and attention!

-- Steve Spence AMSOIL - The "Once A Year" Oil Change URL:

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net|

Reply to
Steve

I use Chevron Delo 400 15/40 oil in my 1982 300 TDT and change it every 2-3 thousand miles, depending mostly on the circumstance, like if I am on the road I don't change at 2,000 anymore, I wait until I get home.

I had to have the engine rebuilt at 400,000 miles. I now have 418,000 miles on the car. It runs better now than it ever has. I am spending $1,300 just now getting the air conditioning repaired, including a new AC Delco compressor (not remanufactured) and a fill with R-12 (The original refrigerant).

I have read from different sources that 3/4th to 7/8ths of the total carbon footprint of a car over its lifetime is created during its manufacture. So it is very green to run your Mercedes as long as you can.

The vacuum auto locking system is the only thing on my vehicle which is not functioning at this time. I have narrowed it down to a vacuum leak somewhere between the front of the firewall and the lines that lead to the locks, because the lock distribution lines to both sides hold vacuum and the locks operate correctly. Soon I will find the time to get that straight and then my car will be operating like new despite being 27 years old and having over 400,000 miles of use.

I tried synthetic oil in the engine before the rebuild and it did not improve my fuel economy. I got 28 mpg before the rebuild and now get

33 mpg, which is what my Mercedes dealer said I should have been getting all along. I think my engine wore out principally because the seals in the pump on my load leveler system failed and the very thin hydraulic fluid from that system got pumped into the crankcase. Nonetheless, the engine still ran O.K. for another 150,000 miles before difficult starting finally forced me to have the engine rebuilt.

After the rebuild the engine still was hard to start until I discovered that the PCV valve was not closing, so maybe I didn't need the rebuild so soon after all. But the car runs great now and can zoom over mountain passes that it dragged on before the rebuild, so I am glad I had it done.

Reply to
Paul Fretheim

"Paul Fretheim" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@v23g2000pro.googlegroups.com... |I use Chevron Delo 400 15/40 oil in my 1982 300 TDT and change it | every 2-3 thousand miles, depending mostly on the circumstance, like | if I am on the road I don't change at 2,000 anymore, I wait until I | get home. | | I had to have the engine rebuilt at 400,000 miles. I now have

[...]

If you tried synthetic oil just before the rebuild at 400,000 miles, did you try it to see if it would help postpone a rebuild that you already knew was needed?

If so, click on the link below, then look down the page to the MOTOR OIL heading. Under the heading, look for an article named Reasons For Motor Oil Consumption and click on the link.

Using a synthetic such as AMSOIL that promotes a longer service might have prevented the necessary engine rebuild at 400,000 miles.

A testimonial from a satisfied AMSOIL user - 930,599 miles:

409,000 miles without an oil change:
Chevron Delo and Mobil 1 have a tremendous marketing campaign and absolutely have their names in front of the public many more times than AMSOIL. Does the advertising make them better oils?

Take a look at the AMSOIL website and decide for yourself whether your making the right choice for the life of your engine.

European Formula 5W40:

AMSOIL EaO Synthetic Naofiber Technology Oil Filters:
Comparison of Popular Engine Oils:

Steve