K&N air filters...

I know that I'm not the first one to ask this, but does anyone use a K&N air filter in their car?

When I was 17 I put one (two actually) in my Corvette, and I could have sworn that it made a difference (though in retrospect, who knows--I was 17).

If anyone uses one, do they like it? And how does it effect the warranty?

Reply to
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

I've been considering putting one on my '84 300SD. The dealer wants $50 for a conventional filter and a K&N is $77. Has anyone used one on a diesel/turbodiesel?

Thanks,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Delaney

I got it in my car for 30,000 miles so far... I know my engine is a bit more responsive... fuel mileage went up a little bit... maybe 1 or 2 MPG.

It beats those brittle paper filter... although the paper filter traps more gunks. I really don't think it is that much of a difference in those particles that got through... they get burned and then out the exhaust.

Diesel engine probably benefits more from K&N filter... also those weaker engines...

Only thing you have to remember is to clean that air filter with K&N detergent and then oil it with K&N filter oil for best protection.

Reply to
Tiger

"Tiger" wrote in news:Cd3Uc.10430$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

Letting the engine inhale particles is exactly what you don't want - unless you want a good reason to rebuild your engine? They don't all get burnt, think about driving through a cloud of sand or similar grit... it would make short work of anything inside your engine.

K&N filters flow more air whist 'aparently' doing as good a job of filtering the air from particles as the paper style.

If you flow more air, you need more fuel to mix with it, this doesn't necessarily mean less M per G overall, as you may be producing more power lower down in the rev range, but you'll often find it does.

You should experiance more power as a result though, especially if your engine is all EFI and can correct the air/fuel mixture properly.

I've only had a K&N in one car, and it made a decent enough difference :)

S.

Reply to
splam