Lost key!!

Ok so here is my poblem. My 3 y/o son decided he liked my key for the mercedes, So he took it and lost it in the Back yard somewhere? No where to be found for weeks now. I have a "Duplicate" but it will not open the doors. It only works in the ignition. Now what do I have to do? I can not slim jim the locks (I believe because you can't do that on Vacuum locks). I guess I can have AAA come open it for me then what?

It is a W123 '81 300D 4dr. -

Next thing. The reason I parked it in the first place is because the radiator started leaking. Insde the radiator. I know I need to replace it. I am fairly competant with tools. It looks like a long weekend project. Am I correct, or are there any special tools or knowledge I need? Thaks again in advance and don't make too much fun of me about the Key thing

BC - Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.

Remove NOJUNK from Email for responses via email.

Reply to
NIFFOCBT

Something doesn't sound right here. My 300SD 1980 has a master key and a secondary/valet key. The master unlocks everything, the sec/valet unlocks only the doors and ignition. That makes sense, as if you have the car parked, you may not want them to have access to the trunk and glove box.

I can't imagine why a car would come with a second key that only works the ignition, as this sounds useless. Are you sure you have the right key? In any case, you can open the vacuum locks by pulling up manually on the drivers button, though it takes some force, and hooking it and doing that may not be possible. A dealer should be able to make a new key from the vehicle information.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Sounds like your ignition tumbler went bad and someone replaced it with a generic?

For a few dollars more, they could have ordered the correct one with the matching key....

Go to your MB dealer and order a new key per your vin number. It should open the doors. If it does, then order a new ignition tumbler per your vin number and you will have one key for all. You will have 2 new keys, the one you ordered for the doors and the one that comes with the tumbler.

Reply to
Karl

when you join us in the 21 century you'll learn that things have changed. Since the late '90s MB has been using electronic keys with chips in them that have to be used in the ignition and they have little xmiters that open and lock the car.

Reply to
127.0.0.1