93 Camry electric door lock question

Driver's side electric door locks fine but will not unlock using either external or inside door handles. All the other doors work fine.

Am able to open door if both handles are worked at the same time and someone else flips the inside door lock button back and forth. Took inside liner off, looks okay inside - no bent rods, nothing sticking.

Haynes manual says something about checking a relay. Could that be the problem and where is it located? TIA, F

Reply to
fireant

Do you mean you cannot open the door when it's closed and that the power door lock operates? Or do you mean you can not unlock the door with the power door lock switch?

AutoZone's free online repair guide offers some information on the door lock assembly.

The manual lock assembly is very simple, just linkages. When something like this happens it's usually the solenoid/motor assembly, so: First make sure the assembly bolts are tight and the assembly doesn't shift when you try to lock/unlock.

Since you have the liner removed, do a test on the lock assembly connector by using the door lock switch. See that you get a voltage at the lock assembly connector (if not it's a wiring problem leading to it).

With the voltage to the assembly's connector, see that the solenoid works. You should be able to see the lock arm move (at least you should hear it operate).

It can be the wiring or the control switch. But not if you have the proper voltage at the assembly connector.

fireant wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

This car has power door locks. I cannot open the door using either the key or the unlock button from inside the car. The power door locks correctly using the key or the inside switch. After describing the problem with Toyota, they said I probably need to replace the door lock assembly. That, plus labor is >$500 (!) Can I replace just the small part or do I need to replace the entire assembly. How big a job is that or is it one for small hands or specialized tools?

fireant