mercedes or Jaguar s type

"jfp" wrote in news:HDBzc.59$we3.6@newsfe5- gui.server.ntli.net:

Depends. Are you a driver or a mechanic?

Reply to
ArchieLeach

Now that's interesting. My knee jerk reaction was to think that Mercedes would require a mechanic less than a Jaguar, but the reports coming out in all the car magazines seem to reverse that order. Seems that Ford has brought some quality control to Jaguar, but that the financial strain of the Chrysler/Daimler merger and new model roll outs, have injured the mechanical reliability of Mercedes.

I'd like to move "up" to a newer model car than my 99 S Class, in a smaller, nimbler package, but the scares about lack of build quality in 2000 plus Mercedes make me wonder about buying a newer one.

Reply to
Viper

what's the weather like in August?

Reply to
Andy Smith

A Jag looks good. But you had best be ready to drive in circular patterns so you can stop and pick up parts of your car on the road. Or start your own warehouse of parts.

Reply to
SW

Either your system clock is very wrong, or you've mastered time travel.

Reply to
MTI

Having owned recent models of both brands, hand on heart I can say that both the fit-and-finish, ambience and reliability of Jaguar is far better than Mercedes. I should qualify this by stating that neither model left anyone stranded like my wifes BMW and that none of the above can show Toyota how to build cars; well maybe Jaguar comes closest.

Have you owned *recent* models of these cars or are you talking through ignorance?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

[...]

"Huw" haute in die Tasten:

I am reading this message the third time now. Buying a car mande in Britain is one thing. Using an ISP founded in Italy is another one;-)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

I also got Huw's msg three times.

Anyway, I have recently again read about the better quality of the Jag vis-a-vis Merc.

It's no longer a surprise and I am sure Ford's deep pockets have helped. Lif Merc does not want to lose market share in its most important market in Europe outside Germany it had better better take note.

Maybe that's why the dealership structure has been shaken up (all franchises bought out and network integrated) in England's three major cities. I can't remember if Glasgow or Edinburgh were included.

Well, not specifically because of Jag, but because of bad vibes in general.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

one;-)

It may be my 'puter to blame. It has off days :-( The message only came back once to me, although another message sent to another group did come back thrice. Since I have not shut my machine down since, it will be interesting to see how many times this message propagates.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

included.

My Jaguar XK8 was bought new in 1997. The Jaguar dealers within 200 miles of me have not changed AFAIK, although some dealers have moved the franchise to stand-alone premises so as not to mix with Rover or Land Rover within the same showroom and service area.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Aha! I now see what you mean.

Yes, the Mercedes dealerships have been in turmoil. Both of the dealerships I used to deal with have either had the franchise removed or/and gone bust. One that has taken over the franchise has poor workmanship but I have had no dealings with the other, which I suspect is overextended by its expansion verses the volume it sells [low]. This, and poor build quality, has undermined my confidence in the brand and I must admit to deserting to BMW this time round. The only car I ever regret selling is the Jaguar, which was beautifully built and a lovely drive. The only reason I sold it was that my daughter was growing too big to fit in the back.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

For similar reasons acquired CLK and abandoned SLK idea. XK8 too expensive for me (new).

I did enjoy the ride in the Jag an acquaintance gave me a while ago, though

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Whats the best Mercedes e type or jag s type, cant make my mind up, think the jag looks better

Reply to
jfp

A driver Archie

Reply to
jfp

Can be really nice in the South of UK why do u ask

Reply to
jfp

U mean bits fall off the Jaguar, you experienced this, i just had a test drive in an s type Jag, and it seemed mebe more comfortable than the merc, but horrible dials on it and a weird handbrake system, mebe i need anothe test drive in an e class Merc

Reply to
jfp