Mercedes SL Roadster

I'm almost 80 , have this insane desire to buy a use SL Roadster and have about 25-30 Thousand to spend.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks for your honest opinions.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Bell

I'm 67 and bought an '81 380 SL about 3 months ago. I paid $6500 for a cherry with 116,000 miles. That is about normal for Phoenix. My mechanic said to buy it after he looked it over. Since then about 10-12 strangers have made a point to talk about and praise it. NOBODY ever said to me "What a cool Nissan Ultima" with my last car. I even park it so I can admire it when I'm having breakfast.

GO FOR IT! It's fun! Not the greatest gas mileage, but what the hell, I only drive it around town. Now is not the time to be practical.

Chip

Reply to
Chip Wood

Hi Check if you have a double timing chain

This was a recall Might Even Still Be Covered

They were famous for breaking up

Reply to
John S

NEVER EVER was a recall. MB only issued a Service Bulletin with info on converting to a double row chain. IF the car was IN WARRANTY and the single row chain broke, then it was covered. Out of warranty? NO coverage unless goodwill was offered

I have been a MB dealer tech/shop foreman since Dec 1979.

Reply to
Karl

I'm still looking for recommendations on which used Mercedes SL model to buy in the 25-30 K price range. Your help would be appreciated. Doug

Reply to
Doug Bell

I'd suggest a mint low mileage 560SL with all its records. 89 is the last year. Less electronics, a very classic body style, and a nice motor!

Reply to
robrjt

What's wrong with a R129?

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

OK..I'm not a technical person. What is a R129? Doug

Reply to
Doug Bell

Karl

It's the MB SL type made from 1989, the one before that is called R107. The Rxxx numbers are MB model codes, they are different from the type numbers but more consistent.

Have a look at the model table underneath the following page:

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

I am confused by this site. The so not mention the R170 and R171 or the R107? Were these not coupes? (I think technically the "R" designation is roadster)

Reply to
me