ML320 started misfiring

Picked up a clean used 99 ML320, and it has been running smoothly for a month and 3000 miles. Monday AM, after driving in the rain, the engine started sputtering and misfiring at a stop sign, and continued to run very roughly, until I pulled over and turned it off. On the restart, all was fine and the engine runs smoothly, but the check engine light is on.

I'm thinking that water spashed up on a plug wire and caused the misfire. The misfire was picked up by the computer and the gas was shut off to that cylinder. Anyone else had this experience? Car's in the shop now for a check, but my main concern is getting it set up so it doesn't happen again.

Reply to
JMyers6670

It's doubtful that a water splash caused the misfire. Remember, the ML is rated at a 20" fording depth and is build for off-road driving. It could be a bad sensor that happened to act up at that time. However, I've had similar unresolved problems with my 2001 ML320 since it was new (now has 32K miles). It only does this in very warm, humid (or rainy) weather. It does it either at startup or after running and coming to a stop. The hotter and more humid, the worse it is. I've heard that this not an uncommon problem in hot, humid climates with the ML320 and also some other MB models with the

3.2l V6 engine. I've heard it referred to as The Miami Syndrome, but I;ve never heard of a definitive solution. If you learn anything, please pass it on.
Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

I had a 1994 C280 that misfired. It turned out that the wiring harness was corroded and had to be replaced. The car was only 5 years old at that time. Right after the warranty expired. Dealer said that in Southern California's smog air, this wasn't unexpected! Yeah, right.

Ricky

Reply to
RickyE

Re: ML320 started misfiring Group: alt.auto.mercedes Date: Wed, Sep 24, 2003, 3:41am (PDT+7) From: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.nospam (RickyE) I had a 1994 C280 that misfired. It turned out that the wiring harness was corroded and had to be replaced. The car was only 5 years old at that time. Right after the warranty expired. Dealer said that in Southern California's smog air, this wasn't unexpected! Yeah, right. Ricky

***************************************************** rest of message snipped ****************************************************** Wiring harness for many 94-99 MB's had defective insulation materials (from supplier) that would simply disintegrate within a few years. This part was covered by "Secret" MB Factory goodwill warranty, and labor, too. If you paid for this, you were taken by that dealer! 1995 C280, - 71,546 miles, dealer replaced wiring harness 5/08/01, under goodwill warranty (reimbursed by MB) No Charge whatsoever, including complete diagnostics of all systems. Car had no warranty. Dealer: MB of Laguna Niguel, CA Ciao!
Reply to
Def Lizard