New MB Owner

Howdy!

Just purchased my first Mercedes! It's a 1986 300E. Just had it detailed today and WOW, did it ever clean up nice. It's needs some TLC, but for the most part it's in great shape. Ok, enough on justifying my purchase. Back in 1981, I was a MB Mechanic. It's been years since I've worked on one, I can barely remember where to put the oil. Just kidding. Really though, I may need assistance from time to time and in fact may be able to offer some (what I can remember) help on this NG. Thanks in advance.

The first thing I need to procure is a Service Manual. Any idea where to purchase? I've looked at a few on eBay, but most seem to be from overseas.

Secondly, the Becker radio works great, but the tape deck is inoperative. Any ideas on what to look for? I'm not afraid of taking the radio apart.

Thanks folks, I hope to be a regular here.

Reply to
Michael

Congratulations on finally getting your first ever proper motor car, you'll never go back ;o)

Overseas....... compared to where? Mike

Reply to
Just Mike

It just struck me that this NG is worldwide... I live in Phoenix, Arizona, USA.

Michael.

Reply to
Michael

Reply to
Central Florida

Thanks... I didn't know that...

Michael.

Reply to
Michael

Reply to
Matthias G.

haynes manual. try amazon

Reply to
Niels Ulrik

A while ago when I was looking for the MB service manual for my W201 I found a set of MB Service Manual Library CD's for the 201, 124 and 126. on EBay. The 124 and 126 are 2 CD sets. I really do not need the 124 and 126 CD's so I would be willing to part with them. I really don't know what they are worth so I am open to any reasonable offer.

Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

"Michael" haute in die Tasten:

The main error sources with a cassette deck are:

- mis-adjusted, oxidized and/or dirty tape playback head

- damaged and/or dirty rubber wheel at the tape transport coil

- worn out or torn transmission belt

- stuck winding mechanism

and if the tape deck is electronically controlled:

- contact problems with the control buttons.

If you are able to open the deck, you may find something odd. Maybe one previous owner had used a bad cassette and you find traces of a major tape jam.

Two hints: You may take a cassette-adapter for a portable cd player (You know, these things which look like a cassette and transmit the CD-player singnal to the Tape playback head. If you are able to play some music from a CD-player through this adapter, then the tape playback electronics are okay, and the mistake probably is something mechanical, which could be found out by carefully inspecting the mechanics.

Second hint: Becker radios are quite expensive, but they seem to have a capable repair service. If you cannot fix it on your own, have a look at

and check for the english language section.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Don't use it myself but have seen a lot of criticism of the Haynes manuals in NGs.

You obviously find it ok (otherwise you would not suggest it).

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

great book. made me dare to first change oil and oilfilter myself. Then I changed topgasket - big job 2 days. The doorstop - was making a rattle. Then lots of other tiny jobs. I now know my car very well.

great book to get you started.

Reply to
Niels Ulrik

"Dori A Schmetterling" haute in die Tasten:

I have a service manual for a Citroen Xantia published by Haynes. This manual may be helpful for repairing the car but not for operating it. Things like "How much oil of which quality do I have to fill in where?" or "what is the difference between the four keys, which were included with the car" are not explained there. I would suggest buying an owners manual through the dealershio. If the US dealer is not able to help, you should look at the Mercedes.com website and search for assistance.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper