New Prius Owner Questions!

Howdy y'all!

Just bought us a nice shiny new (2005) Prius, golly it's a purty car.

(not sure why I'm talking like this, sometimes the mood just hits me).

Coupla questions fer ya ...

1) The nice man what sold it to us, recommended we rotate them tires every 2500 miles. Is he barking up my tree backwards?

2) What about this 3M plastic film he wants to put on the nose. Worth the $379 he charges? Should I shop around?

3) Any way to shut off that god-awful "you're in reverse" panic-sounding beep? Or at least make it less annoying?

Thanks all! Chris

Reply to
Chris Shearer Cooper

If he's offering to do it for free, I would think it's OK. Toyota recommends rotating the tires every 5,000 miles, though.

Shop around. I know some people who swear by that film, and others who don't think it's necessary.

Reversing Beep On/Off:

  1. Power on or IG-ON
  2. Set Trip/ODO to ODO
  3. Power off.
  4. Power on to ready (brake on).
  5. Within 6 seconds, press and hold ODO for 10 seconds or more.
  6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO, *after* 10 seconds, Shift from P to R, then back to P. Now release ODO.
  7. You'll see in the trip display "b on" or "b off".
  8. Press ODO to toggle.
  9. Now power off.

And if you want to turn off the seat belt beep. (It helps if you have someone to help you with this; you have only two hands.) Steps 1 through 5, and 7 through 9 are the same as above; and step 6 is similar.

Seatbelt Beep On/Off:

  1. Power on the car to IG-ON or READY.
  2. Using the Trip/ODO button, set the Trip/ODO display to ODO (not Trip A or Trip B)
  3. Power off the car.
  4. Now power the car to READY (brake on).
  5. Within 6 seconds of powering on, press and hold the Trip/ODO button for 10 seconds or more.
  6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* the 10 seconds, buckle then unbuckle the appropriate seatbelt while continuing to depress the Trip/ODO button. Now release the Trip/ODO button.
  7. If the last step was successful, "b on" or "b off" should be displayed in the location where the Trip Odometer or Odometer is normally displayed. "b on" is beep on, and "b off" is beep off.
  8. Press Trip/ODO to toggle the mode.
  9. Now power the car off to exit the toggle mode.
Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Why not do that at 5000 miles when you have the oil changed?

I don't know about the price but I've had a hell of time getting the bug splat off the nose of my Prius.

Yes.

Bill

Well, Toyota says 5000 miles, which is simple because it coincides with the recommended oil changes. I've never heard of rotating tires more frequently than that.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg