New Mercedes Radio in 1983 300D

I have been considering upgrading the radio in my 1983 300D. I would like something that looks decent in the dash and matches the rest of the car - unfortunately there are few new radios that have the amber backlighting like Mercedes uses. Does anyone know if it would be difficult to install a used

1999+ E class radio into a 1983 300D? Do the 1999+ radios have internal or external amplification? I would also be interested in installing a used Mercedes or Alpine changer as well. I think these radios use fiber optic. Would there me any major complications pulling this off? I assume I would need the radio, changer, wiring harness and fiber optic cable. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jeff

That job will cost you alot more than just to have a Best Buy or Circuit City store put one new pretty good headunit in for you free.

If you really want amber lighting... check Clarion or Alpine.

Reply to
Tiger

I would be willing to pay a little more for it, and I feel I could install it myself if the hardware could be obtained used at a reasonable price. I currently have some Alpine equipment (CDA-7949) with a fiber optic changer and DSP, but I really don't want to have to put the whole system in the

300D.
Reply to
Jeff

That's the problem... no one sells the MB radio of the latest generation cheap... and getting a fiber optic cable for the MB system is hard too. unless they use standard hookup.

Reply to
Tiger

Try contacting the folks at La Jolla Audio ... they are MB radio experts. Do a web search, the contact info should pop up.

JD

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
John Durbin