Help, please: 1983 Cressida radio problem

Help, please... I love my '83 Cressida... it runs very well... almost everything works... the problem I'd like to fix is that the
radio doesn't remember the stations when the ignition is turned off. If I turn off the radio while driving, then turn it on again, the memorized stations are still there, but not after the engine is re-started. It's the stock AM/FM/Cassette with equalizer.
I've got the wiring diagram... it has the 5-pin "A" connector and the 9-pin "B" connector. The B3 pin is hot when the ignition is on (I assume that's power to the radio) and the A4 pin is hot Always (even when the ignition is off). I would think that that A4 pin should supply the power to remember the radio stations.
Is the problem Inside the radio? I'd rather not take it apart, but I will if you tell me of something specific that I could check out. Any clues?
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

I don't know about Toyotas, but my old lincoln has a fuse that controled this. Until I replaced the fuse I had no radio memory.
On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 20:21:46 -0700, Mark246 wrote:

You've done well, my son! ;)
Now, the question is, did you discerne that the wires are hot when you looked at the wiring diagram, or did you measure them with a meter?!
If you measured them with a meter, and the A4 pin has 12V with the ignition OFF, then the problem is porbably in the radio. One more question, though: did you ohm out the Ground wires? Even though the chassis will ground the radio, that particular circuit may be isolated from the chassis (I don't see why, but who knows why engineers do things the way they do?)
Ckeck that, and also check the radio to see if there are any fuses on it. Some of them had a fuse in the back under the connector, but most of them have internal, soldered-in fuses that require "Servicing by a qualified technician" :)
Perhaps I may be able to be persuaded to part with the same radio from my Supra. Let me know how you make out. I like to keep stuff that came with the car, just so I can say it's 'complete', but I'm never going to use it!
I went to the Evil Wal*Mart and bought a 'harness' for Toyotas, and installed a JVC AM/FM/CD/MP3 player with an Alpine EQ.
Beats the crap out of the Stock radio!
Hachiroku wrote:

Thanks for the discussion, people.
Mr. Insanity... According to the wiring diagram, the wire that's always Hot is hooked up to the 15 amp fuse that also runs the horn. The horn works, so I don't think that's the problem. Like I said, that wire has electricity going to it all the time.
Dad... (hehe)... no meter used... I used alligator clips to hook up a 12v light bulb. Yes, the A4 pin has electricity (how many volts/watts?... I dunno') when the key is off.
"Ohm out the ground wires"? I'm not sure what that means, but the wiring diagram says that the B7 pin is supposed to be grounded... So I hooked up the alligator clips and light bulb to A4 and B7... it works, so B7 apparently is grounded.
Can't find any fuses on the radio. I think I could replace an internal soldered-in fuse... I guess it's time to open it up, eh?
Yes,... I'm sure a new radio would sound infinately better, but I'm a cheap bastard... why else would I be drivin' an '83 Toyota!? (hehe)
Any other clues? Thanks again, people.
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:27:10 -0700, Mark246 wrote:

Dad? (!)! Is rthat like when the youger guys at the 'Club' used to call me 'Pops'?

Yeah, I'd say so...

This is an educated guess. You can get the radio repaired (actually, probably swapped out) for $75 from United Radio.

Go ta Wal*Mart and pick up a $35 radio to boot!

You are on the right track. Next step is to open up the radio and follow the circuit from A4.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:21:34 -0700, Mark246 wrote:

LOL! Ah, yes! So I did!

Wow...I'd be looking for a burnt resistor, or a capacitor that ain't capacatin'! and, a fuse on the ckt board will look like a resistor, so your trusty OHM meter is a vauled item!
Chances are a soldered in fuse will be white, light green or beige, and will look like a resistor, except it will have one distinct, sharp bulge at each end (unlike a resistor, which has a smooth hour-glass shape) and should ohm out to Zero if good, or infinite if bad.
If this is it, it's a $0.99 fix!