Oil Sensor Defective Signal

Hi: I own a 1998 E-320 with 35K miles. The oil sensor device was replaced after getting an "Oil Sensor Defective" signal. The same warning still comes up occasionally on engine start up. Could this have anything to do with reprogramming the car computer after the part replacement?

JimBob

My 1999 E240 used to display the "Oil sensor defective" on startup with increasing frequency. This was most frequent on cold starts. I have had to replace the battery recently. No more "oil sensor" messages after that. It seems the sensor checking software is very sensitive to low voltages due to an old battery. WÇY

Reply to
WÇY

This also explains the light coming on after a cold start. The battery has just expended a bunch of juice to crank the starter, and so is at it's lowest point. After running a minute or two the alternator has put some juice back and hence the light goes off.

Very interesting...

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Reply to