paging the captain, CaptainW116, please report to the control room.

Hi

Couldnt help but notice you also have a '79 6.9

Know of any decent forums dedicated to these beasts.

I used to use

but the discussion board has not worked for a very long time.

If your interested in a step by step restoration of an australian (euro spec) 6.9 with unfortunatly alot of steps missing in between, as i got lazy with the camera, take a look at mine from bucket of crap to pristine...

Got any pictures of your beast?

Reply to
taxman

Hernando Correa

Outstanding results on your 6.9! Sorry,only have one photo of mine and that is a shot of the rear corner badge!I have some others from the day I purchased it but can't unload for some reason! Description though,79,000 miles,no rust ,big ugly extended bumpers(soon to go)euro headlights,and acquired for right under $5000! Need a new power steering pump because it siezed on registration and sniffer day(bummed)and is currently in my garage with a new fresh respray(sadly with masking tape still on her;hope the claim of 3 week clean release is not a false claim)

There is a W116 group at yahoo that you may connect with fellow 6.9ers at

it is all W116 in general! Photos will be availableshortly of my 6.9!

Reply to
CaptainW116

Reply to
CaptainW116

I've seen two 6.9 advertised locally (supposedly very good condition) for around $3500-$4500USD, is that a good price range?

cp

Reply to
cp

6.9 with unfortunatly alot of steps missing in

crap to pristine...

Beautiful!!

You should write a PDF ebook on restoring bodywork, I'll be the first to buy it! I'd even market it! :)

I have a 1966 w110 and the only rust problem it has is in the same place as in your following picture

You know of any online resources explaining how to fix this?

cp

Reply to
cp

I cant even give a guess at how much its cost in my 2 years of ownership, I have a box full of receipts waiting for the tax man to take care of ;)

worth it? Absolutely, when I saw this car for the first time, I wasn't even looking to buy it, I was having some fun, after I drove it, buying was no longer optional. On the outside it was well neglected, but the engine and drivetrain was perfect, so I brought it back from the dead. These are quite rare here, especially in the condition mine is now in, its one of a handful in the whole country.

from the time I delivered it to the day I drove it away was 5 months. its a busy workshop and mine was not the only car being worked on, but I know and trust the guy and that's why I took it there.

only in the last year or so, Ford Australia has released a turbo dohc straight 6 with 550Nm/275Kw with the torque coming on in full at slightly less revs than the 6.9.... How many years did that take! plus its not N/A anyway, and im damn certain its not going to see 15 years without falling apart, let alone 25... :)

Reply to
taxman

your power steering pump seized, my power steering box leaks like a sieve, I suppose its acceptable considering how old they are though.

I'm going to take the engine and transmission out, as an educational exercise as well as to replace, for the hell of it, engine mounts and shock absorbers, front and rear crankcase main seals, every single gasket on the transmission, o-rings, and the extension housing bush, new flex disks, new centre support baring, on the diff, the pinion seal and side oil seals. remanufactured steering box!

currently in the process, 4 new hydraulic spring legs, hoses, spheres, front and rear valves, new filter and hydraulic fluid, 4 new brake disks & pad sets including parking brake shoes (new brake hoses already installed), new wheel bearings and seals. new subframe bushings and suspension rubbers x all.

I will be snap happy with my camera every step of the way this time.

Its no more expensive than any other hobby, some people spend more on computers, and there useless in a couple of years and don't give you half as much fun. All the work besides reupholstering the interior the body work/respray, is done by my self which is most of the fun.

best of luck with the 6.9 resto, they are an awesome car, and only unappreciated by those who've never stamped the loud pedal in a working one, too scared to, or consider dollars and cents running costs more important than the fun factor.

when I die, screw the coffin, I want to buried in an S class Mercedes.

Reply to
taxman

That sounds about right!If you check them out,hunt for rust in floorboard,trunk,rocker panels and quarter panels!Make sure hydropneumatic suspension works also(insanely expensive)!At the price you quoted,I am sure there are little this and thats!An extremely fine example of a 6.9 can run up to the $15,000 to $18,000 range,not bad for an old car huh?

Reply to
CaptainW116

15k-18k? whooooo you know, I think these were very nice specimens too, maybe I should have bought one of them...and put in a 240d engine..... just kidding!!!

What's the gas mileage on these things? 6.9L, that's just insane!

cp

Reply to
cp

the way I drive I'll be buried in a stinkpot 300D Mercedes.

Beautiful machine you have!

cp

Reply to
cp

Mileage seems to be about 500feet per gallon,no seriously maybe about

14 to 17 mpg driv>
Reply to
CaptainW116