Plastic thermostat housing - W126

I have a 7/88 build 300SE with 166,000kms and recently had to have a new radiator fitted - a new Nissen brand (made in Denmark). What surprised me is that last week I again had dripping coolant on my driveway which I tracked down to the original factory thermostat housing which was made of PLASTIC ! ??? I had a new genuine one fitted ..... but this time an alloy one - at only $AUS30. (one of the cheapest genuine parts I ever bought).

My questions: Does MB still fit plastic housings to their new vehicles? Is there any other "hidden nasties" that should be changed? ...... I count myself very lucky that I found and fixed the thermostat problem at home and before I cooked the engine .......I could have been greatly contributing to some country town economy if I lost my coolant out bush!!

John Bachmayer Adelaide, Australia.

Reply to
John Bachmayer

Mercedes parts aren't expensive, if you get them from the correct place. (not a dealer)

I own a Mercedes and a domestic product, and find that the Mercedes parts are infact cheaper in some parts and very close with everything else and last longer - if comparable.

Hello from western Australia.

Reply to
Dave T.