1964 220s running terrible?

I am trying to get my 220s back on the road. Its the 6cyl with dual carbs. It starts up but will not idle smoothly as I step on the gas to rev up the engine and backfires and shakes in neutral alot? I pulled off the coil wire and it is rusty down in the coil could this have something to do with it? Thanks:)Nelson

Reply to
:

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (:\) :\)) wrote in news:26012-40175830-45@storefull-

3334.bay.webtv.net:

Absolutely. I suggest that you replace all of your ignition components, including the sparkplugs/wires.

Do you have a dwell meter and timing light?

Reply to
George Mann

I'm not familiar with the 220S, but by any chance are those sidedraft type carbs? Those of us who have dealt with them on Brit cars, Volvos and the like know them to be a common source of trouble. 90% chance that any old sidedraft carbs need to be rebuilt or thrown away.

Reply to
Stan de SD

Thanks guys for the help I will try it out!! :)Nelson

Reply to
Nelson :

Hello and Thanks for the help!! How can I tell if they are side draft? I know the butterfly or the place where I pour in gas to jumpstart if the lines ever went dry was on top of the carbs...does this help? THanks again:)NElson

Reply to
Nelson :

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Nelson :\)) wrote in news:27892-4019C3B9-250 @storefull-3337.bay.webtv.net:

Your car has Zenith 35/40 INAT downdraft carbs.

Reply to
George Mann

I don't recall if you said how long the car had been sitting, but gasoline can turn watery and stale in only a few months. It's always a good idea drain out old gasoline and replace with fresh gas when you have a problem like this; very often it's just a bad tank of gas.

Reply to
Newsgroup Reader

Yeah, exactly. When tuning a car you need to start with good valve timing and adjustment, then good ignition, last good fuel mixture.

Don't touch your carbs. I would guess that if there is rust in the coil connection that your ignition points are trashed. Get new ones and gap them, then new cap, rotor, plug wires and plugs. Then kick the car over and see how it runs.

It's just a start, and best of luck

Reply to
Howard

Thanks again George!! You know my car better than I do:) Im going to change the coil tomorrow and let you know how it is. Thanks :)Nelson

Reply to
:

Hello and Thanks!! It actually ran out of gas and I put some fresh gas in it and still acting up. Thanks again:) Nelson

Reply to
:

Hello and Thanks again!! Where are the ignition points? Under the cap? Probably dealer only item? THanks:)Nelson

Reply to
:

the points are common and can be found at any auto shop.. be sure to set the gap properly when putting new points in, you may also need to do the timing afterwards :)

Reply to
Sporn