Question

I've got an old mercedes here, not sure of the year, probably late 70's. It's been sitting in the driveway since '88. I'm to the understanding that just before it became a permanent fixture there, that the engine and transmission was rebuilt. My question is, after sitting for 22 years without any sort of cover/protection what sort of issues would the engine/transmission have?

Essentially, i want to get rid of it, but the owner insists its valuable and must be kept. I can't even change the tires on the POS, it's so rusted I can't jack it up from the sides and I don't have access to a good floor jack.

Reply to
news.verizon.net

You won't know until you start it up and drive it for a bit.

Reply to
Tiger

Every piece of rubber will have gone away, the cylinders will be rusted into the bores. The transmission may be OK with all external fittings changed and everything refilled, but you would have to open it up to tell.

If it is that valuable to the owner, have it towed to storage, but its intrinsic value is probably less than the cost of the tow unless parting out the good bits.

JJ

"news.veriz>

Reply to
jeremy

What model is the car? I have had older benzs that have sat for ages, put in a good battery, drained and filled the fuel in the tank,changed the filters. changed the tires, and the car ran ok . If it is an old 240 or 300, scrap it out.

Jim