Re: electrical question?

in my 560 SEL, the power seats will only work if

>either front door is open (even with no key).

It is supposed to work thusly: EITHER with the key on, OR with the door open (to allow you to move the seat back to get in). There is a relay that gets a signal from the door jamb switch. Can't tell you right now where that relay is.

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

In the door jam you'll see two pressure switches; One turns the light off the other lets the seat work if the door is open. Yank the switch, clean it put it back. Test it with an ohm meter if you have one. If it's working ok then your problwm may well be the wire bundle that goes from the body to the door, it's in the upper accordian rubber boot thing and what can happen is, if the boot gets worn the wires can fatigue and actually break only making intermittant contact yielding intermittant seat behaviour. Inspect it very very carefully. If it's toast you'll need to replace that harness; you can buy the part and it connects the fuse box through the body, into the door to the seat switches. I wouldn't tackle this myself and I'm pretty brave. Find a $35/hr auto elecctrics speciaist and let them do it - should be less than 2 hous work, less if you take the door panel off for them whish is trivial

Reply to
Richard J. Sexton (At work