1959 190D restoration

I am beginning a restoration on a 59 190D. It is in pretty bad shape and I will be looking for a lot of replacement parts. I have access to a 1960 190D ( from the same seller) and I can "have any thing off the 1960" I want. Very kind of him. So I have only seen pictures of the '59. The '60 apparently is in worse shape. What items should I remove from the '60 that are common failures and hard to find and interchangeable etc? Any of you have any suggestions for me? I have thought of hauling them both but it is too long a trip to do twice for me. Thanks wolf1

Reply to
wolf1

Get a friend who can haul both car on the flatbed for you.

Reply to
Tiger

Those arrangements are not possible. Only which I could. It is the obvious solution. Thanks wolf1

Reply to
wolf1

Reply to
marlinspike

Neither of these cars is drivable...thus the restoration. I suspect the prior owner (who is elderly) wanted to restore one car and had the other as the parts car. I can only haul one away. wolf1

Reply to
wolf1

A general warning: you can always buy a good car for far less money than restoring a bad one. Most cars that would be a GOOD candidate for restoration, already look pretty good, run well and don't look like they need restored.

That said, good luck with your project and feel free to call for specific advice anytime. I and several of my mechanics are so old we have actually worked on those models!

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

Very thoughtful and kind offer. I hope it would be only needed in a crisis situation. wolf1

Reply to
wolf1

OK you beat me into submission and we are getting both cars. Now where do you find parts for these vintage items. ie.) an air filter to satrt with or did they use an oil bath in those days. I have not seen the cars yet just photos. wolf1

Reply to
wolf1

Oil bath. Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

Thanks bill Got the cars today. This is a little OT but the trailer I rented CAME OFF AT 40 MPH on US101 to start my day. My next stop should have been HOME to change my underwear. Only damage was to the bumper and my coronaries check out OK but really scared the piss out of me. wolf1

Reply to
wolf1

Darn! Wolf... I am glad you are okay... what happened? Equipment failure?

Reply to
Tiger

OT: Tiger the young man who hooked me up at the rental had the clip on the undersurface turned backwards and as I hit a swale in the road off she came. It pulled the 3/4 ton pick up literally a half a lane to the left (2 lane road US101) I jerked it back to the right too fast and I fishtailed as I hit the brakes and went off into the ditch on the right. Now how does one lift the tongue of a car trailer (at and angle in a ditch ) back up to the trailer ball! Luckily I had an old scissor jack that allowed me to get close to the ground and raised enough to get the on board jack to go vertical. Then it took 5 tries to line it up since I had now one to guide me in back . All the wires to the trailer pulled out and I had 4 wires to connect to 8 available fittings ..I gave up after 20 minutes and did it without lights ( no cops stopped me). The good news is the rental place gave me the rig for the rental price only and did not charge me for the mileage 400 miles at 22 cents a mile. They were very embarrassed but now one got hurt and that is the most important thing. wolf1 ON topic.: well I will change the filters and oil get a new battery etc...but what else should one do before starting a car that has been sitting for 10 years? This is a diesel.

Reply to
wolf1

There is apparently a 2 CD version of the repair manual available for the

1959 190D . The diesel is not covered in the printed manual of this series(of which I have 2 copies 992 pages!) . Do any of you have one they want to part with? Let me know. wolf1
Reply to
wolf1

If it is not too much trouble... squirt some oil into the glow plug holes to lube the top end of the combustion chamber that may be really really dry.

Hand turn the engine while all the glow plugs are out so it is not so hard to do so. This will let you know if the engine will be turning smooth...

If all okay... then I would just crank the engine WITHOUT letting them start to circulate the oil... Lastly, see if you can start it up.

Reply to
Tiger

Good reminder. That is very similar to what I did with a rebuild on a Honda CRX. Took out the plugs , cranked it until the oil pressure came up then put the ignition back with the plugs back in and started it! Thanks Tiger

Reply to
wolf1

Pulled the glow plugs and did that. Engine turned both by hand and after I put in the starter from the 1960 the 1959 started was bad. The fan turns really hard I assume it is connected to the water pump and I assume the pump is bad or corroded. The primary fuel filter screen is broken I am thinking of cutting a fuel supply line and inserting a primary filter like I have in my 83 300SD any other suggestions.? How hard should the fan (by itself) be to turn??? wolf1

Reply to
wolf1

We are getting closer to "ignition" here. The starter and generator are fixed the fluids and filters changed. Fresh fuel in place. Just need to put in some motor mounts and bleed the injector pump and I may try to fire her up this week end. Will let you know. wolf1

Reply to
wolf1

Reply to
wolf1