Re: M3RC3D3$ 83NZ W I S -- DVD Service Manuals-- All Models-- [Reposting all to a.b.automobiles]

Hari, Check with the guys over at alt.free.newsservers. They pretty much keep on top of all the "freebies". Rgds...pay

Reply to
pay

Newsgroups really suck for this kind of thing. Incomplete as always. I don't know why I even bother to look. :(

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

That's right. Is there anyone who got it right?

Can you (Yag) tell what server you used to release it?

Reg: Harri

Reply to
Harri Markkula

Gee... you both need to subscribe to better newsservers! Might be worth your while to spend $8(us) to buy a one-time

8-gig block from somebody like Octanews (my favorite).

Disk 1 is all complete; disk 2 is well on it's way. So far, not even ONE missing piece!

Judging from his headers, Yag is using Giganews... Rgds...pay

Reply to
pay
[Reposting to a.b.automobiles] ---- "reposting" is an active verb

I can empathize with the frustration you guys are feeling as I used to experience it myself. That is until I learned a little more about how Usenet works, and got the right tools to do the job. Now, my 3 terabytes of storage can't hold everything I dl from Usenet.

First off, if you would have noted the time stamps you should have been able to tell that it's STILL uploading. It isn't finished yet. Power-Post is estimating it will take another 9 hours. And after it finishes it takes some time to propogate from my upload server through to your download server. If you download 1 part, take a look at the headers and it shows the path of all the servers it had to propogate thru till it got to yours. Your server may not be getting a direct NNTP feed and they may not be refreshing very often so it will take longer to get through.(sometimes days). Then there is the possibility that your server doesn't allocate enough storage space for a particular group causing low retention rates. I picked a.b.automobiles to upload to because it has very low activity. Most ISP's don't have their own newservers. They simply re-sell a partial feed from one of the premium companies. If you can't afford to subscribe to a premium newsserver then learn about all the free or almost free servers available out there. They will have lower bandwidth but good retention rates. Use them to get the pieces that are missing from your primary server.

Lastly, get a decent binary newsreader program. Outlook sucks. Try Newsbin, Newspro, Newsrover, etc. I haven't used Agent in a long time but it used to drive me nuts trying to put all the pieces together. Maybe newer versions are better now. With a good newsreader it will scan multiple servers to find all the pieces to a file and put them back together for you. This is especially helpful if you don't have a premium server and rely on free servers. Use the Quickpar to reconstruct missing, incomplete and damaged pieces.

As of late last night everything that finished uploading was complete on Giganews, Fusenet and Bellsouth.

**************************************************** The following links will assist you in learning how to download binary files, or get the tools you need.

Winrar:

Quickpar:

Nfo Reader:

Notepad or,

yag

I suppose it was you who asked for EPC catalog.

01/2004 version is available as torrent.

Reg: Harri

Reply to
Harri Markkula

In theory it sounds great, but in practice it requires just too much attention and hassle. Someone should build a decent front end that solves all the details about splitting and assembling and parity and encoding automatically.

I've even tried a paid server once, but I still hated the process. E-donkey and bittorrent are much more advanced. I'm not a newbie, but I don't see why a system should be so primitive in the 21st century.

The only real advantage of newsservers is that you pretty much download at maximum speed, but I find that I don't really care if a download takes a week to finish as long as it comes in without constant attention and doesn't hog all my bandwidth. Donkey & bittorrent manage that very well. I already have a w124 WIS disk coming in from Donkey that's almost finished.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Mind pointing us to that torrent file, please? Rgds...mvm

Reply to
pay

Sure.

It might be bad idea to put it here but sed me personal email and I send it as a reply.

Reg: Harri

Reply to
Harri Markkula

Hi Harri,