The 240D Bad odor again

I reported this early this year and nobody was able to identify it.

While removing the covers under the dash - over the leg area - I noticed the smell stronger than usual. The acoustic damping padding is the culprit. It is made of a layer of rubbery plastic that is glued to the hard plastic part of the cover and the rubber part is then covered with the usual compressed and colorful fibers - about 3/8" thick.

It's been a while since I removed the covers from the insides of the doors, so I don't know if there is more of that junk there.

I believe the stench comes from the decomposition of the rubbery plastic. Anyone know whether healthy replacements are readily available? If not, I will start looking fror a product that won't outgas enough to convert me into a zombie? Is there any such thing as healthy acoustic padding? On second thoughts, maybe I need to go to a green web site.

Has anyone used a conditioner for the MBTex upholstery - something that would clean and preserve it? If so, was it effective and was there a stench while applying it?

Finally, there is a small crack in the MBtex - about 1/2" long. Suggestions for its repair?

TIA

Reply to
RF

I used Leathrique Pristine Clean to clean the MB Tex... It does awesome job at removing all dirt and smell out of the seats. Has a bit of leather smell that will disappear over time.

Leatherique also sells repair kits.

leatherique.com

Reply to
Tiger