The Price Of Gas...Again

Here's the deal:

As SOON as there is an announcement that the price of crude has gone up, there is an immediate increase in the price at the pump.

When I left for work this morning, the price for reg unl was 2.599.

Before leaving work, I heard the price of a bbl of crude had fallen 2.6$ per bbl. The price at the pump when I got home was 2.619!

Where's the call to LOWER the price, hmmm.....?

Reply to
HachiRoku

HachiRoku wrote in news:ynOMe.1082$zb.703@trndny04:

If you'll notice, it slowly drifts down again over time unless prevented from doing so by other factors.

Right now I believe the prime movers are the Gaza pullout, the ongoing Iraq conflict, and the recent failure of the Irqi government to produce a draft constitution. All these suggest instability in major oil-producing regions, leading to bid-ups by speculators and other actors in both the spot and the futures commodities markets.

The problem for those speculators is that they'd better be on the ball. If (when) prices fall again, a lot of them are going to lose their shirts.

Remember, the oil companies do not /set/ prices, the markets do. Oil companies may benefit from price bid-ups, but they do not /cause/ them unless they have a monopoly or collusion is involved.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Welcome to reality. Gas prices are alot like the old Space Program, prices go up on a rocket and come down on a parachute.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

reality isn't all it's cracked up to be...

Reply to
HachiRoku

It's like leaded gas. When we added lead, the price went up; When we took it out, the price went up. jor

Reply to
jor

Wow! Correct on all counts! Very Good, Teg!

BTW, where ya been?

Reply to
HachiRoku

HachiRoku wrote in news:3yQMe.3344$yb.1853@trndny01:

Arf arf. I'm a good doggie.

Vacation. 2-1/2 weeks.

4 days in Alberta at my wife's family reunion (drinking WAY too much beer for my own good), then two weeks in (sort of) sunny California.
Reply to
TeGGeR®

Hmmmm....

Hey, tell me something. You are Canadien, Not you are?

What ever happened to Adams Antique? It was a 12 year old Canadian Whiskey. I used to get it on trips to Toronto, but it was also sold in Quebec. Nobody can find it! I sent 3 people looking for it, but it can't be found. And it doesn't have any kind of presence on the web...

Where in Calif did you go?

Reply to
HachiRoku

HachiRoku wrote in news:e6SMe.1765$yb.1223@trndny07:

Oui. However, je speak non le Francais.

Adams? That rings a bell (ding dong). I'll check it out tomorrow.

The problem in Ontario is that about 97% of the stock the government liquor store stocks is the exact same from city to city. Alberta and Quebec are probably the best places to look.

I'll let you know.

All over LA county. We hoteled in the cities of LA, Anaheim, West Hollywood, and Torrance, and made it as far afield as Redondo Beach and Lomita. There was stuff we had planned but never did, for various reasons.

We drove some of Mulholland Drive, from the eastern end to wherever Beverly Drive is. Talk about a magnificent road...

And I got pics of the Toyota and Honda headquarters this time! Toyota had a security guard in a booth, so I could not get past the front gate, and the buildings are fairly obscured by trees. Honda had nothing in the way at all. I walked right up to the front door. However, while I was snapping photos, a guard in a CR-V did a drive-by, so I figured it was time to get scarce.

We rented a Ford Escape with a 3.0L V6. Performance was pretty snappy, and handling impressive for such a tall vehicle with tall tires. Build quality was terrible, with variable panel gaps and some very sloppily installed trim. I'm awfully sure the car had a drive-by-wire throttle, which occasionally made it feel like the tranny was slipping.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

The security guard is new. You used to be able to drive through the circular driveway between the main HQ building, the data center, and dining center. Also in the complex are the emissions and prototype labs - VERY top secret, most employees can't get in there (I used to be able to wander in because the rent-a-cops thought I was a Japanese engineer); the service garage; the garage where they prepare the cars for the celebrity race at the Long Beach GP; the car wash, training buildings; Lexus building; fitness center; helicopter pad; and other buildings where people work on secret stuff.

You couldda visited Nissan's HQ in Gardena while you were in the neighborhood. Other places to visit - Japan Town in Gardena - the greasy chopstick places are pretty good and you could listen to the older Japanese American gents talk just like Mr. Miyagi.

Toyota's port of entry in Long Beach is also pretty impressive - thousands of Toyotas in one place.

Reply to
Ray O

See the reason we get told that it is so high (91.9p average a litre, highest it has ever averaged), is that it is the American driving season. You guys are using it all going on vacation in your RVs, SUVs, and trucks. And yes, that was quoted as a reason on the news on a fuel price story this morning.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

One can never drink too much beer.

Reply to
Dbu''

Dbu'' wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news-rdr-03.rdc-kc.rr.com:

You can if you simultaneously forget to eat lunch and supper... (ouch)

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Sleeker GT Phwoar wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

That's questionable, and was probably written in the usual anti-American spirit that prevails over there.

The only reason summer demand is a factor here is because our refineries do not have the capacity to easily meet other demand while also feeding the summer needs. And also because demand increases prices as a general rule.

A significant percentage of our summer gas comes over by tanker from overseas. Since there is not quite enough refining capacity here, it gets refined overseas and finished gasoline is shipped to North America instead of raw crude.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Yes, and they are all a bunch of nervous nellies who need to get over themselves. I say fire 'em all and get some new ones.

Reply to
Numan

I would have agreed with you, in my younger days... These days I try to keep it under 3 beers, on work nights... 8)

Reply to
dizzy

We can say that about the U.S. stock market also. All of them trembling in their shoes and with shaking hands, sweaty brows.

Reply to
Dbu''

Good times, LOL!

Reply to
Dbu''

"Numan" wrote in news:ih7Ne.3070$Z% snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

Yeah! I want a new stock broker. Mine keeps getting into the martini mix, and I'm awfully sure that cabinet was LOCKED.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Hmmmm....JUST heard on the BBC (6am GMT) that the reason for the increase in fuel prices was the demand being placed by China, and provinces like Quongdon (I believe that's waht the reporter said). Hmmmm....where have I heard this before? (HINT: Check a post of mine in another thread from 2 days ago...)

Seems the wealthier provinces in China are expanding so rapidly that they are placing HUGE demands on the world's energy supply and the refineries and shipping just can't keep up. Even if (or when) the oil-producing nations could pump out all the BBLs in demand, the infrastructure (shipping, pipelines and refineries) can move or process the raw materials rapidly enough.

Now, I am certainly not knocking the US' hunger for oil by any means, and I hate SUVs more than anybody (save the 'nicer' ones like the RAV4, the Daihatsu (which is based on the Prado, which is unavailable in the US), the Suzuki, et al. All the Large truck based ones are a total waste of everything...money, fuel, etc.

But there are other forces at work here. Listen to the BBC this AM...

Reply to
HachiRoku