94 9000: How do I access the relays behind the fuse panel?

I have a 1994 9000CSE and need to replace the turn signal relay. It is located somewhere behind the fuse panel above the passenger side floor / below the passenger airbag.

I am completely stumped as to how to access the relays-- I can seem to figure out how to remove the interior panels to get to them. Does anyone have advice?

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
dyerparts

I had to break off some clips to do that, and had to replace them when was putting the panel back. I hope someone can point out a procedure which allows access to the relays without having to repeat my process :-).

-Dima

Reply to
Dima

First remove the glove box then you will see 2 screws holding the fuse/relay panel in place remove these and the relay panel will flop down its held on a sloted hinge at the back of the relay part. replace relay rescrew everything in place. 10 minute job.

Reply to
chris

Problem is, my 9000 doesn't have a glove box-- there's an airbag where the glove box normally would be. Alternative thoughts?

Reply to
dyerparts

Reply to
dyerparts

OK no problem its located under the airbag behind the kick panel. (all they did was to lower the position by a few inches. From memory its still held in with a couple of screws.

Chris.

Reply to
chris

As someone who has your car, this is one of the most frustrating matters in Saab World; there must be dozens of instructions that proceed as though every Saab has one, instead....

Reply to
Valjean

There is a panel that runs just below the airbag on the vertical surface of the dashboard. It has two screws in it. However, even after removing these two screws, I can't seem to get that panel out. Is that what you mean by the kick panel? Any idea how to get it out?

Reply to
dyerparts

On my 96 9000, which also has an airbag, you have to pull open the plastic "door" which covers the fuses (this usually has carpet on the bottom part of it).

Once you can see all the fuses, you'll see one or more black plastic plugs at the top the fuse box moulding, to the left and right of the clip which holds the fusebox door shut. Pull these out (I've only got one left on my car, but I guess there should be at least one on each side of the clip).

Now you can pull the plastic trim, attached "carpet" and fusebox door away from the fuses. But be careful not to pull downwards, else you'll almost certainly knock a whole load of fuses out with the edge of the plastic trim. Instead pull carefully outwards into the car , making sure the plastic trim clears the fuses.

Now you'll see the exposed fuses sitting on a kind of metal rack fitting. The relays are located behind the fuses. To get to them, you need to hinge the metal frame holding the fuses downwards. If I remember, there are a couple of (torx?) screws above the fuses holding the frame up. Just remove these and pull the fuse panel down. You should now be able to see and reach most of the relays. (The indicator relay is near the back, but you can reach in and remove as necessary).

Sounds complicated, but is quite straightforward - only takes a few minutes. Only tools are the torx screwdriver (usually one on the tool holder in the boot).

If your flasher/indicator relay is not working, I'd recommend having a look at whether there's just a poor solder joint in the relay. Do a google group search for "saab 9000 hazard lights final instalment".

Cheers,

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Scott

Gerry,

What did you do to pull the plastic plugs without damaging them? I was not able to remove them intact, had to replace them.

-Dima

Reply to
Dima

Hi Dima,

To be honest, I can't remember! But I don't think it was too complicated - I think I used some long nosed pliers and levered the plug out, rather than just pulling them. Levering seems to require less tight a grip and is a bit more controllable than gripping and pulling.

Mind you, remember that there's only one plug left on my fuse cover, so someone's managed to damage them in the past and not bothered to replace them.

Cheers,

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Scott

OK, after a second trip to my dealer, I have the definitive answer. For those who are interested:

  1. Open the fuse panel cover
  2. Locate the round black 'rivets' on the aft end of the cover
  3. Push a sharp instrument aprox 1/16" into the center of each black rivet
  4. The black rivets can then be pulled out
  5. Remove the fuse panel cover and uphostery
  6. Remove the two screws holding the fust panel in place
  7. Slide the fuse panel down and aft to access the relays

Hope this helps someone.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
dyerparts