WJ road tire recommendation

Been reading posts here for many years and know there are several others like me who have a SWB Jeep for play and a ZJ/WJ/WK for daily driver.

I have a 2002 WJ Limited 4.7l with the 17"x7.5" Rogue wheels and Michelin LTX A/S 235/65R17 tires.

It's time for new tires and I don't think the LTX A/S tires wore very well (the truck only has 34k miles). The truck occasionally is driven on dirt/gravel roads in the Coachella Valley but not actually "off-road" (my '98 TJ takes care of those adventures).Most of the miles on the WJ are driving between LA and the Coachella Valley, many times in the heat of the summer (100 plus degrees) when I assume the hot asphalt may play a part in tire wear. The truck has only seen snow once (I'm a warm weather kind of guy). I'd like tires that balance good road handling and ride without looking like "car" tires.

I was looking at TireRack and reading about the Goodyear Forteras. From your collective wisdom, I'm hoping for some opinions and recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

---------------------------------------------------------- '98 Wrangler Sport 4.0 '02 Grand Cherokee Ltd 4.7

caljeeper

I ran Cooper Discoverer A/T's on my ZJ for years and always treated me well...good bang for the buck at $100. per tire... I now off road it more frequently and stepped up to a more aggressive new Cooper Discoverer STT M/T's.

good luck!

Jeff

Reply to
4X4PLAY

Thanks for the reply, I stopped by the local tire shop this morning and the manager is recommending Michelin Cross Terrains over the Goodyear Forteza. They are about the same price. The Michelins are $155 but have a 65k mile warranty. This particular shop doesn't carry Coopers, I'll have to look around for those.

---------------------------------------------------------- '98 Wrangler Sport 4.0 '02 Grand Cherokee Ltd 4.7

caljeeper

I have a 2000 WJ that used to slip horribly in the rain with stock Eagles. After research at TireRack, I had the Fortera's shipped to a local tire place for installation. The shop owner was impressed with the rugged look of the tires, and with the amazing price I got from TireRack (about half what the local Goodyear people wanted.)

The Fortera's made a night and day difference in handling in the rain, snow, and general smoothness on the highway. Friends actually thought I'd gotten a newer car, the ride was so different.

I've put about 25,000 miles on them so far. Need to rotate now, as the front ones are showing some wear. I might get 40-50K from them, which is actually more than I originally expected. Well worth it, no matter what.

Kev

Reply to
kdarling

Thanks for the reply, Do you have the Fortera HLs or the Fortera Silent Armor? The Silent Armors are sounding pretty good.