92 500SL Transmission Questions

I owned a 90 300E, so I'm familiar with the Mercedes automatic transmissions and their nuances, most notably how they act when the car is cold. My 500 seems to be more touchy than the 300 was. The transmission fluid is full and clean, but I'm just a little concerned that it may out adjustment, or something may be worn out and need of repair. Once warm, it seems to be OK. One symtom that I find irritating is when you go from park to reverse, it takes about 2 or 3 cound to actually engage. This doesn't seem right.

Any comments or suggestions on this?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve

Steve, my S500 was exactly the same. I mentioned it to my dealer while the car was still under warranty. He muttered something about adjusting the selector, it made no difference, so I assumed it must be a peculiarity of that model. As of 2 weeks ago I have no reverse gear. I am fairly sure that the reverse gear brake band has gone and will need replacing. vehicle has only done 66,000 miles.

Hope yours doesn't go the same way

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy