Stalling in reverse

Problem with a recently acquired a 2001 Volvo s40. I'm frequently stalling it when in reverse, but not in forward gears. Assuming it's not me, does this suggest something wrong with the gearbox? Or clutch? Any suggestions welcomed. TIA

Reply to
lurk

Possibly leading you in completely the wrong direction (pun unintentional) here, but an Escort I once worked on would stop when reverse was selected.

The problem turned out to be a loose earth connection at the reversing light, which was shared with the fuel pump...

May be something similar?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

How can a fuel pump share a connection with a reversing light ffs?

Reply to
Michael Hubert Kenyon

Michael Hubert Kenyon gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

"earth connection".

The earth connection was not earthing, so the pump was being earthed (badly) through the reversing light, reversing switch, and back to the gearbox.

Reply to
Adrian

It might be the reverse ratio - some cars have a higher geared reverse than 1st. So you need to use more revs/more careful clutch control.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

Have you ever looked at a car wiring diagram, ffs?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Loads and not one has ever shown the reversing light wired to the fuel pump. Now connecting the reversing light and the fuel pump to earth are a different matter.

Reply to
Michael Hubert Kenyon

Heh. I had that with a Golf Mk1: the reverse lamps shared a fuse with the fuel shut-off solenoid, and the fuse was corroded. The load of the reverse lamps killed the feed to the solenoid.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

You quite often see an indicator and brake light flash in unison when the earthing is faulty. They're not wired together in the way you are suggesting but if the earth is HR, then they are effectively in series with one another.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Seconded. I've had several cars like that.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

"The problem turned out to be a loose *earth* connection at the reversing light, which was shared with the fuel pump..."

So your problem is an inability to read English, rather than wiring diagrams, then?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks all for the suggestions (and the banter!). I'll try first the assumption that more revs and more careful use of the clutch are needed, then if that doesn't improve things, I'll go checking for loose earth connections.

Reply to
lurk

My brother has an E46 BMW 330T which he tows with and constantly complains how difficult it is to reverse with due to the high reverse gear. The clutch often shows its displeasure by the smell. Previously, he used an E28 520 with a much less powerful engine which was fine.

Cars historically had a lower geared reverse than 1st - I wonder if the change to synchromesh reverse gears has something to do with it? After all speed or economy in reverse isn't an issue - but hill climbing etc ability is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I suspect it may just be that the overrun brake on the trailer may be coming on when he's reversing.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

You suspect wrong. Why do you think I mentioned the high reverse gear?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Our 'new' Renault Laguna II also has a high reverse gear. Beautiful towcar, smooth, powerful, but the high reverse is a real pain when we're on rally fields with anything like a slope.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

When you park do you

a) reverse into the space so that you're facing outwards ready to go

or

b) go in forwards so that you have to reverse out on a cold engine ??

I'm suggesting it may be the circumstances in which you're reversing, rather than the reverse gear itself.

Reply to
David A Stocks

I always reverse into a parking space. And it's more often while doing that, with a warm engine, that the engine stalls.

Reply to
lurk

You're just "cackfooted" then. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

does it feel like the engine just dies? or does it seem to need extra power to reverse? is it a sudden thing like the clutch seems to self operate? Most clutch faults would show in normal driving. Something odd like a faulty handbrake might bind badly in reverse but not forwards.

Best bet would be to try another similar car or get a driver of another one to try yours.

Reply to
Mrcheerful