Ranger shuddering when turning in reverse

I?ve got a 98 Ranger, 5-spd manual, 4x4 off-road. When backing up, if the wheel is turned in one direction there is an intense shuddering that feels like it?s coming from somewhere in the rear of the truck. Nothing turning the other way. Have not gotten under it yet, but would still appreciate any speculation ? give me a place to start looking. It happens at any speed (up to 5MPH, have not tried above that), only in reverse and only when turning in one direction. Otherwise everything feels and drives fine. Is occurring in 2WD, have not tried in 4. This truck has seen plenty of abuse off-roading, but had been exposed to nothing but normal road driving for quite some time when the symptom developed. I?m at a loss for where to start looking for this problem, so unless I get some pointers I?ll likely just be lifting it up, taking off the wheels and looking around, trying to find something loose. Myself and another driver have both agreed it really feels like it's coming from behind the cab, though I still wouldn't be surprised to find the issue is in the front, as these things can seem to travel in percieved direction.

TIA,

Dan

Reply to
DanKMTB

"DanKMTB" wrote

So try it in 4wd too.

Limited slip rear diff? Try changing the fluid + additive (if it uses it). ABS? See if a wheel speed sensor is loose/broken/missing. Check the "spider" gears inside the diff for damage.

Check for tierod / balljoint / wheel bearing looseness with the wheel turned to the side. On the ground and jacked up.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Does this occur when you let out the clutch to get moving or does it star t to happen if you are already moving and you turn the wheel?

-jim

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

jim

On Aug 25, 6:56 pm, "MasterBlaster" Limited slip rear diff? Try changing the fluid + additive (if it uses it) .

Yes, and will do.

No. At least, no ABS lights, and it certainly skids, and has as long as I've owned it.

Again, will do. Could this cause issues in reverse and turning in one direction only?

Again, will do. Tierods & control arm were all good 10K & 1 year ago, but that could have changed, especially with the off-roading abuse. Both front wheel bearings have been changed last year.

Thanks for the help on where to start, I really appreciate it.

Reply to
DanKMTB

#1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 New sgroups

When the vehicle is already moving, clutch fully engaged. Not sure if it happens with the clutch partially disengaged, something else for me to check.

Reply to
DanKMTB

On Aug 25, 6:56 pm, "MasterBlaster"

Reply to
DanKMTB

Reply to
Matt

Engine mount? Remember the engine/transmission is twisted the opposite to "normal" direction when backing up, tending to lift the passenger's side of the engine rather than the driver's side. Raise the hood and while holding the brake, carefully "slip" the clutch in reverse while watching the engine, then repeat in a forward gear. If it moves a lot more in reverse, you've probably got a broken passenger-side motor mount.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
DanKMTB

This makes a _lot_ of sense. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find you hit the nail on the head with this one. I had a golf back in the day with a bad motor mount, and I seem to recall it being a lot worse in reverse. The engine shifting on the bad mount could cause the drivetrain to get pushed slightly out of alignment as well, explaining the "coming from the rear" feeling. this will be one of the first things I cehck. The parking brake isn't awesome in this thing, so I'll probably chalk the rear wheels as I perform this check. Thanks for the idea!

Reply to
DanKMTB

But I guess you would still have to explain why it only happens when turning, and only when turning in one direction.

Reply to
Matt

Reply to
man of machines

Something else to check out - thanks!

Reply to
DanKMTB

I'd take a close look at the front CV joints.

Reply to
Steve Austin