Urgent help needed.. Rear View mirror for '96 S320!!

Can someone please e-mail me any info on obtaining a rear-view mirror for my '96 S320? My central locking system is not working and I believe it's the mirror. I'm told by my dealer that this could get expensive.. I'd appreciate any info on getting a better price on this mirror than the dealer. My e-mail is snipped-for-privacy@jhu.edu. I'll look forward to hearing from you soon!

thanks! Dave

Reply to
David A Webb

Try the usual second source online parts houses:

also auto salvage yards that specialize in M-B parts. search on Google.com

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I'm guessing here, but has the red light stopped working?

If so then providing you are reasonably technically minded you can disassemble the mirror and replace the bulb, this will then be as good as new and your fault will disappear.

Reply to
miknik

Most of my friends had the similar problem after the remote's battery dried out. If you have read the owner hand book, you know what synchronisation of the remote control system is. Firstly, you need to replace the remote's batteries (both of them don't just replace one). Then point the remote to the mirror and shoot twice. Quickly insert the key to ignition and trun to on position. If the system works, it should set off the green lights on the mirror and on the door. The worst case -- above method doesn't work, you need to check the fuse of the remote control unit, because the sensor/ir receiver hides inside the mirror is very hard to be damaged.

"miknik" news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com

Could someone please tell me how to detach the mirror assembly from its base in the ceiling? I unscrew the only screw visible, but couldn't dismount the mirror. I believe some linkage inside it is broken (mirror shakes loosely a bit).

Thx

T.G. Lambach wrote:

Reply to
Kai Rautio