Vacuum problem w123

Hi All I am new to this group but I really hope to get answers. I drive a 1986 w12=

3 230e . It just died the other day with no apparent reason, had to tow it home. Now= it starts but have to keep the foot on the gas to keep it alive. I notice = that the vacuum econo gauge is not behaving as normal. Do I have a vacuum l= eak? And how do I start to find it? Any help would be great , thanks
Reply to
Chris B

1986 w123 230e . It just died the other day with no apparent reason, had t= o tow it home. Now it starts but have to keep the foot on the gas to keep i= t alive. I notice that the vacuum econo gauge is not behaving as normal. Do= I have a vacuum leak? And how do I start to find it? Any help would be gre= at , thanks

Thanks for that, but new developement. I checked all the vacuum hoses all s= eem ok. Now the car starts and idles as before but no oil pressure is shown= on the gauge and the econo gauge is still hovering in the middle somewhere= . What now do I pull the motor?

Reply to
Chris B

a 1986 w123 230e . It just died the other day with no apparent reason, had= to tow it home. Now it starts but have to keep the foot on the gas to keep= it alive. I notice that the vacuum econo gauge is not behaving as normal. = Do I have a vacuum leak? And how do I start to find it? Any help would be g= reat , thanks

As Roland pointed out, there are a lot of sources for a vacuum leak besides the hoses. And even with the hoses, in most cases you can't really see all of them.

Now the car starts and idles as before but no oil pressure is shown on the gauge and the econo gauge is still hovering in the middle somewhere. What now do I pull the motor?

Are you sure that it was displaying oil pressure before? No oil pressure even when the engine RPM is increased above idle speed? It could be related, but sometimes when one thing goes wrong and you start looking around, you notice something else that might have been there for some time and is unrelated. Let's hope that's the case....

Reply to
trader4