vacuume leak problem '91 300e

Hi,

Here's the symptom: the dial for controlling the temp no longer works. If it's on AC it stays there even if I put it all the way to hottest. Then I noticed, if I rev the engine, it switches to the heater and works fine.

I'm guessing it's a vacuum leak somewhere. Is this a back yard mechanic job, or something that requires intelligence to fix?

Thanks,

al

Reply to
-Alby Hewlet

Speaking for backyard mechanics everywhere, I take offense to that.

If I were to charge 4 times as much and get a labotomy, I could then work at the dealership.

Reply to
iNet

You are on the right track... check the vacuum hose that leads from engine to your cabin... in the hood area only.

Reply to
Tiger

Ha ha. Lobotomy, good one.

I was referring to my expertise as a back yard mechanic.

I don't even have a back yard. I own a hammer, though.

No offence intended as it was self-referential.

Reply to
-Alby Hewlet

Hi Tiger, OK, will check. Can you give me a clue about where one end of it might be? Under the hood is a fairly large place if you don't really know what you're looking for. Thanks al

Reply to
-Alby Hewlet

What would a vacuum leak have to do with the temperature calibration?

Note: "vacuum" is spelled vacuum.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

The clue is that yellow checkvalve... one in/two out... located by the brake reservoir area.

Reply to
Tiger

Ya know... heater flap control?

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks for the info. Now, as soon as it stops raining...

Oh yeah, I looked up vacuume and discovered I spelled it wrong. Looks like the e isn't needed.

Reply to
-Avery Anderson-