W123 Aux Fual Tank Installation - Thoughts, opinions?

Hello all,

So the project which I am getting in over my head this time is the installation of a 25 gallon axillary fuel tank.

I am mulling over a couple of installation options, and want some opinions.

ps. Happy 25th Birthday to my car THIS month (Feb 1982) 25 years ago, my car was born in West Germany, how cool is that?

Darrell

Darrell with DieselBenz.info

Certainly there are a number of ways to do this, but the simplest to me seems like it'd be to run a couple of (fairly fat) lines, one from the top of the spare tank into the top of the main tank, and one from bottom to bottom. Then the "spare" tank would fill up and drain along with the "main" tank, and your fuel gauge would still work. This is more of a parallel setup than a serial one, though, I don't know how you could do a serial connection and have the fuel gauge work unless you set it up to drain the secondary tank first and just lived with the fact that the fuel gauge stays on 'full' for the first 2/3 of your fill.

It might be easier to do what dual-tank trucks do (at least the ones with which I'm familiar), although it'd require a bit of electrical knowhow. This Ford van that I used to have had two tanks and a switch under the dash to switch between them. The switch then would use the level sender from the selected tank and turn on that tank's fuel pump (I guess, never really worried about it too much since it Just Worked). Ahh those were the days, when $50 at the pump actually got you a huge load of fuel.

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket