w126 stuck drivers and rear reclining seats...please HELP!!

First of all i really value the advise i have gotton over the years. well here is another challenge im faced with. i need your help. thank you in advance

RE: my 85 500SEL Driver's seat and the rear reclining seats

problem: on the driver seat the the back rest and the rear height udjustment works. BUT the seat is stuck all the way back as far as it could go. when i push the seat switch foward i hear a clicking noise on the plug that fits on to the control unit but no motor noise. when i push the switch back i hear the motor trying to work but the set cant move any further. the switch is brand spanking new. tonght im going to replaace the realy and hope it will work. the passanger seat works perfect.

the other issue is the rear reclining seats do not work at all. there is nothing visible that could hinder the operation of the motor either.

am i missing anything Any advise? could it be pinched wire? could it be possible that the relay is partially broken? can i swap the control uints? HELP!!!!!

really appreciate if you all can share some insight. thank you

Lushan

85 500SEL 02 Honda Accord cp
Reply to
Lushan

well, just put in a new relay. nothing changed. its still the same. i ever removed the relay and tried and the symptoms are the same.

well the next step im going to swap the control units and see what happens. before i think its the motors. hope this works.

Lushan

Reply to
Lushan

Take the wood trim panel off from aroudn the switch th4n try the recline again; what can happen (ie it happened to me) is when the trim is in plate but not positioned correctly the trim will actually prevent the switch from moving enough to make contact.

Did you install a new switch? Did the old one have wires soldered directly to the switch and did you have to solder single silver connectors to the wires and put them in connector shels? If si you may have to modify the switch.

I have no idea why other thanthe replacement switch doesn't seem to buss ground from one half of the circuit to the other.

Richard J. Sexton (At work

Thank you for the message. well i can remember positioning the switch was a pain. but i dont think its hindering the switch in any way. ill look into it tho. by the way the switch only had connector plugs and i did not have to midify.

i have taken out all the seats (finally i can scrub and shmpoo the carpets....YES)

my question is CAN I SWAP THE CONTROL UNITS? they look identical. i noticed the stamped date on the broken seat and it said aug 1985. and the passenger one had a date of 1987.

and what about the rear seats? is there a control unit involved?

thanks in advance

Lushan.

Reply to
Lushan

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

Thank you for the message. well i can remember positioning the switch was a pain. but i dont think its hindering the switch in any way. ill look into it tho. by the way the switch only had connector plugs and i did not have to midify. i have taken out all the seats (finally i can scrub and shmpoo the carpets....YES)

my question is CAN I SWAP THE CONTROL UNITS? they look identical. i noticed the stamped date on the broken seat and it said aug 1985. and the passenger one had a date of 1987.

and what about the rear seats? is there a control unit involved?

thanks in advance

Lushan.

snipped-for-privacy@vrx.news (Richard J. Sexton (At work)) wrote in message news:... > >> problem: on the driver seat the the back rest and the rear height > >> udjustment works. BUT the seat is stuck all the way back as far as it > >> could go. when i push the seat switch foward i hear a clicking noise > >> on the plug that fits on to the control unit but no motor noise. when > >> i push the switch back i hear the motor trying to work but the set > >> cant move any further. the switch is brand spanking new. tonght im > >> going to replaace the realy and hope it will work. the passanger seat > >> works perfect. > >> > >> the other issue is the rear reclining seats do not work at all. there > >> is nothing visible that could hinder the operation of the motor > >> either. > >> > >> am i missing anything Any advise? could it be pinched wire? could it > >> be possible that the relay is partially broken? can i swap the > >> control uints? HELP!!!!! > > Take the wood trim panel off from aroudn the switch th4n try the > recline again; what can happen (ie it happened to me) is when the > trim is in plate but not positioned correctly the trim will > actually prevent the switch from moving enough to make contact. > > Did you install a new switch? Did the old one have wires soldered > directly to the switch and did you have to solder single silver > connectors to the wires and put them in connector shels? If si > you may have to modify the switch. > > I have no idea why other thanthe replacement switch doesn't seem to > buss ground from one half of the circuit to the other. > >

Pal

O finally isolated the problem. well after swapping the control box, it worked just fine. the cause? the broken spring from the seat pierced right into the control box causing it to ground and eventually shorted out he circuit. i found a used unit from potomac german auto for 75.00.

im want replace the spring bottom of the seat. i have no idea how to do it. has anyone done this before? which bolts do i remove?

Reply to
Lushan

Also thank you all for responding too. i really appreciate the help.

Lushan

Reply to
Lushan

I have two old seat switches for parts if you need a plastic bit or two.

I got new seat switches then realized I could actually fix the old ones pretty easily as they just had dirty contacts.

Drop me a line and I can put whatever part you need in the post.

Reply to
Richard J. Sexton (At work