W203 suspension

I owned W203,C200K, year manufacturer 2001.

I bought this car mid of last year from car dealer, When i first ride on this car, i find out the car suspension a bit bumpy at speed about 100Km/hr on uneven smooth surface, ( no comfort level) Similarly like the shock absorber not doing their job. After seeking advise from friends. Last month, i change out 4 pcs shock absorber (front and rear) with new bilstein (black in color). But it's disappointed me. It made not much different after replaced the shock absorbers. I spent $$$$ but not gain the comfort.

I have never ride any C200K before, how's the comfort level?

Reply to
flak via CarKB.com

Comfort level in any car depends on several things:

  1. wheel base length - longer gives more comfort than shorter
  2. spring rate - how much force is needed to compress the springs - sports cars have high spring rates so the body doesn't lean in turns but that high rate makes the car ride hard
  3. large wheels and low profile tires i.e. 18 inch wheel with a 8.50/45 tire will ride much harder than say a 16 inch wheel with a 7.50/65 tire which has more space (65 - 45) to flex
  4. shock absorbers dampen the wheel's travel vs. the car's body - stiff (sport) transmit more force to the body
  5. tires' air pressure - higher pressure gives quicker handling but a harder ride
  6. wheel balance - tires are not naturally in balance and will shake at higher 50+ mph speeds as the unbalanced tire lifts from the road

I suggest you set the tires' air pressure to the M-B specification and have the wheels balanced by a tire shop.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Yes. I find it hard to believe that a reasonably new car regular car does not give a comfortable ride. My 'ancient' (1993) 190 is pretty good and I can go over speed bumps at maybe 20 - 25 mph.

Can't do that in my 2001 CLK Cab, though. In fact, scrunched the sump the other day by going over a bump too quickly. But ride at 100 mph on a non-perfect motorway is comfortable.

I wonder how bumpy the "uneven smooth surface" is. Can't be that bad.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Thanks for the valuable information.

To add up more detail on w203..

I still using original springs and 15" rim with 60 series tyre. But the tyre (nitrogen fill) pressure i am not check it yet. How much tyre pressure should i apply in this case?

flak...

Dori A Schmetterl>Yes. I find it hard to believe that a reasonably new car regular car does

Reply to
flak via CarKB.com
1.9 BAR (28 psi) all four wheels is close enough

Is there not a decal on the fuel door or driver's door frame with the specified tire pressure?

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Indeed, sigh, I put 32psi into mine front and back and they are near bald in the center while still very servicable on the edges....

guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

I run 44 psi in the back and 42 in the front on 15 and 16" rears and can't complain about the comfort. They're Michelen MXV4 and wore out pretty normally.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I don't believe it, get a new pressure gauge :-)

cheers

ps how much might you weigh? :-)

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

The tyre air pressure is 30psig at each corner. I heard a lot good side of eibach spring. My next plan is to change out 4 pcs spring. Did anybody have knowlege on eibach spring?

flak...

Reply to
flak via CarKB.com

Well, that's what the tires max rated capacity is and it DOES help fuel milage, plus MB recommends "higher psi" for "high speeds". I aint saying nothing about that. *cough*401*cough*.

6'1", 190, full head of long blond hear. But I don't think you're my type, Gunter. You lack a vagina.

Furthermore I dislike dogs, abhor pina coladas and can't stand long walks on the beach in the rain.

Reply to
Richard Sexton