Bilstein Shock Questions on 740

I've been reading many of the posts here regarding shocks/struts. It seems Bilstein is a highly regarded shock and I am considering either the HD or the Touring Class.

The Touring Class seems to be a better price, but I've read it's stiff on the 240. Is it also stiff on the 740?

I have no experience with Boge, KYB, Koni or Bilstein. What do I want out of a shock? Well, I would hope to have a comfortable ride, yet controlled, responsive handling.

This is not a turbo, but it is not a Lincoln Town Car either.

So, the questions I have are:

1) Which rides stiffer, the Bilstein HD or the Bilstein TC on a 740 sedan?

2) When I see on eBay, "Set of 4 Bilstein HD shocks for 740 Volvo", does this mean all 4 are shocks, or are there 2 shocks and 2 struts? Don't I need 2 shocks and 2 struts and NOT 4 shocks?

3) Money matters. So, what is the best deal for a ride that would be just 1 notch above factory? Should I consider the Boge Turbo Gas or Boge Pro Gas, or maybe a Koni?

Thanks!

Reply to
Jamie

Since the front struts have replaceable inserts most people call the inserts shocks.

Bob

Reply to
User

Thanks. The ads I saw for these had no pictures, and I didn't know if people put 4 shocks on a Volvo.

Reply to
Jamie

Boge (part of the ZF group) are the manufacturers of the Volvo OEM shock absorbers. If you are after constant ride height with comfort then you may have to fork out for a pair of Boge "Nivomats". They are expensive granted, but will last about ten years and can be fitted with standard or heavy duty springs on rear suspension. I would tend to go for Boge Gas strut shock absorbers and replace the swivel ball joints and top mountings at same time. If your car is approaching or past ten years old then replace the suspension bushings throughout, standard are perfectly adequate, including anti-roll bar link kits. We have pretty active modifications and performance forums on the VOC website where a wealth of information can be gleaned from people like Don Norchi.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Peter thanks, It's a 1987, so it's near 20 years old with 200,000 miles. I bought the IPD front bushing kit, and plan on getting lower ball joints. Not sure about the top mountings.

I don't think I'll do Nivomat. I may just do the Boge Gas strut shock if I can save money and if the OEM Volvo ride was good.

Regards, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Peter, what are you calling the top mountings? FCP Groton has a mounting kit:

$47 per side.

Kind of steep, is this what you were referring to?

Reply to
Jamie

Reply to
John Robertson