Creaking Vectra

The local Vauxhall main dealer recognises the problem but can't solve it!

The rear suspension creaks and cracks even on smooth surfaces. The "shock absorber test" (pushing the rear end down) when the car is at rest produces the same noises. Once the car is travelling over 20mph the noises are not audible but I suspect still there.

I have had the car from new, a 2000 model 1.8GLS which has only done

32000miles ( I work from home). It went in for it's annual service last month. The noises were only apparent after this service. This was drawn to the attention of the dealer who admits it is very noisy and they took it back and checked everything over. All springs, shock absorbers and joints are reported to be in good condition. They greased all the joints with silicone grease but to no avail!! Even they admit they have not cured the problem.

Last year new rear tyres were fitted (the rear tyres going onto the front). For a while sfter the suspension was noisy but eventually quietened down. I have a theory therefore that it is something to do with the car being jacked up and the springs and shock absorbers extending fully. This would have happened when the tyres were fitted and would have happened at the service....but why should it produce this noise??

Any ideas out there please.

BD

Reply to
Berti Dogg

Most commonly it is the large rubber bushes that are hidden in the bodywork at the front of the lower rear arms. The rose type joints could make a creaking noise but usually just knock. Shock absorbers and anti roll bar are other possible noise makers. If it was me doing the diagnosis I would fit it up with clamp-on microphones at each joint and isolate it that way. A set of diagnostic mics. is standard equipment in many repair shops.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Replace the shock absorbers (Monroe's if you can afford them). DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Rear bushes shot.

Reply to