What controls shifting?

On my 82 240D, it no longer delays shifting when the accelerator pedal is fully depressed. What device controls this?

Chris

Reply to
Chris

"Chris" skrev i en meddelelse news:cm2ghv$ snipped-for-privacy@dispatch.concentric.net...

Open the hood. There you'll see the gaspedal wire at which you will see a lever you can adjust with a small screew. Adjust it either way and tighten the screew and test your shifting. It can be a very tiny adjustment like milimeters that makes the difference.

Niels

Reply to
news.tele2.dk

On the top rear of the engine is some throttle linkage, including a cable that goes down to the right side of the transmission. That's how the transmission "knows" the throttle position.

The correct adjustment of this cable is to pop the ball off the pin, carefully pull the cable and allow it to retract to its "relaxed" position. Its adjustment is correct if you can then reattach the ball to its pin WITHOUT moving the cable in or out. Otherwise turn the cable's mounting nut so it can be reattached as described.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

T.G.,

I have no such cable. The only connections to the transmission is the bnack vacuum hose and the speedo cable.

Are some models different?

Reply to
Chris

Your complaint is that the transmission shifts up too soon - that the engine can't achieve higher rpms and its power.

The transmission needs two inputs: throttle position and vacuum for its vacuum powered shift modulator. The throttle position "tells" the transmission when to up shift - quick up shifts at light throttle and delayed up shifts at full throttle. Earlier models had a rod which was replaced by a cable from the throttle linkage on the top rear of the engine. The vacuum modulates the harshness of the shifts - soft at low rpms and hard at full throttle.

It could be that your '82 is more developed than the ones I know, I don't know each model's modifications.

Unless someone here can help, I suggest you ask a M-B shop to look at it, not a transmission shop for they just want to sell transmissions!

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Thanks for the help. I alwys prefer to give it a shot myself if not too complicated.

Reply to
Chris

if any one knows if an 82 300sd is the same i will pop the hood

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

Reply to
John Smith

This type of problem usually indicates valve body is bad and needs to be rebuilt. I have ran across two cars that does this... no matter what I do... throttle position cable or the vacuum modulator... no change. One tranny, I simply swapped it out with another one... the other one, I didn't do anything yet.

Reply to
Tiger

ummmm .... thinking about that little stick thingy on the console in my car ... I just pull it back or push it forward and slide it from side to side and it makes my car shift.

mcbrue informatively under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
MCBRUE