Where the taxis go 125 mph .......

Carry cash when you head off for Frankfurt By Robert Prendergast (Filed: 31/01/2006)

Frankfurt-am-main had often been a business destination of mine so when I moved there in 1997 I felt quite confident.

Like many other middle-aged IT executives in the 1990s, I had been 'downsized'. I went back to basics and retrained myself as a programmer in the latest IT technology and, trading on my past experience of airline reservation systems, obtained a contract with Lufthansa.

Initially, Frankfurters seem to fit the German stereotype of 'towels on recliners by the pool' but that belies the many kindnesses that were shown to me, almost from the first day that I was there.

I now have many friends in Frankfurt and feel at home with them, even though they sometimes fall about in laughter at my terrible German. Never say the Germans have no sense of humour.

The taxi drivers are familiar with all the usual destinations and their mispronunciations in many languages. As the taxi eases up to 200kph the driver hums Anatolian folk tunes while the 'Taxi Meister' control system beeps continuously like an old satellite. Meanwhile, you are thankful that Mercedes have a great reputation for safety.

Frankfurt prides itself as an international business and banking centre. English is commonplace but have your euros ready.

One of the first differences you will find is how few restaurants and stores accept credit cards. One colleague told me, the attitude in Germany is: "If you can't afford to pay for something, you shouldn't be buying it".

This still catches me out, such as when we were in a local store and went to the check-out with a collection of electrical appliances, proffering our credit cards. "Sorry, cash or Eurocheque only". I have to admit, though, to a perverse pleasure in leaving the goods at the check-out.

On another occasion I had taken a group of 16 customers to a well- known restaurant and when I gave them my credit card to pay the bill, received a polite "Nein, danke, only cash". Ever tried doing business with people from whom you have had to borrow money?

On my first weekend there after moving I happened upon what is known as a 'fest' - a traditional summer street celebration.

Frankfurt has a lot of streets and in summer, they have a lot of 'fests'. The tradition involves enjoying the local food and beverages

-but thankfully beer and bratwurst are also available.

There is some traditional folk music; not Anatolian this time but renditions of Chuck Berry, Status Quo and Dire Straits - yes, even I came to believe that they are all natives of Frankfurt after a beer or two washed down with an apple wine, or Ebbelwoi as it is known locally.

'Ebbelwoi' is the sound you make when you have had a few apple wines and try to say "Another Apfelwein please." It makes the Munich Weissbier seem like a children's drink. There is even a tourist tram service, the Ebbelwoi Express, where apple wine is served onboard and which is popular with Asian visitors. I wonder how it will cope with the soccer fans during the World Cup?

That night I got the tram back home. Unfortunately I had gone out on my bike and the tram didn't go anywhere near my home. Ebbelwoi!

JFK had everyone confused when he said "Ich bin ein Berliner" - a Berliner is a type of doughnut.

If he had said "Ich bin ein Frankfurter" everybody would have understood a) exactly where he was and b) that he had been sampling some of the old Ebbelwoi.

If he had, he would probably have done so in one of the traditional apple wine houses, or Kneipen, in the old Sachsenhausen district of Frankfurt. These are wonderful institutions where you can sit at a table with a lot of people you don't know and get insulted by the waiter. But that's a tradition and it binds you with the locals, whom he probably insults even more.

If you don't like the frankfurters you can try green sauce, (Grune Sauce), another fine old Frankfurt tradition made of fresh herbs and cream. It was Goethe's favourite dish.

Strangely, among Germans, Frankfurt is one of the least popular German cities. Maybe they consider it too international.

It has a population of about 600,000 in a good mix of areas, from suburban to central city living. Accommodation is relatively inexpensive and city centre living is possible for just about anyone.

The excellent, integrated public transport system of modern, clean buses, trams and underground trains means that you needn't own a car and if, like me, you are a cyclist, getting around the city on dedicated cycle routes is easy. At the weekends there are many cycle ways to sample through the forest and by the rivers with places to stop for refreshment, such as the rowing clubs on the outskirts of the city.

Like most things in Germany, quality is a component in everything, from caf=E9 food to the rail system. The good thing is, it doesn't always cost more.

The difficult thing is the paperwork and formalities surrounding living in Germany, and almost anywhere else on the continent.

The Germans are proud of all their Amts - government departments, for dealing with everything from residence to traffic and rent organisation. This is a frustration for those coming from English-speaking countries but patience and help from a German local can help ease your way through the minefield.

The need to carry your papers at all times, including the equivalent of an ID card, is also strange for English speakers.

My German wife still tells me off for forgetting these and once, when we were stopped at a police control, she was in dread of what would happen to me. After a brief exchange with me and then in better German with my wife, they said, "He's British isn't he?" She confirmed this and they shook their heads resignedly, saying "Ah, they are all the same."

We have now moved again and live over the border in Luxembourg. But we are often back in Frankfurt, which is possibly my favourite European city.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

[...]

Like most things in Germany, quality is a component in everything, from café food to the rail system. The good thing is, it doesn't always cost more.

[...]

. Hi, 200kph in Germany should not be too strange, it is even legal ;-) I remember once in Southern France when the taxi driver was doing 200kph from Nice to Cannes. Don't remember the speed limit but 200 for sure was far more than the officially allowed speed. Anyway, equally felt safe as the car was an MB.

Reply to
Name

Hmmm . . . whatever. I got dragged from 81st and 8th to the west village in New York City at around 115 MPH in a Chevy Caprice once. As I recall the fare was only a few dollars, and I felt to no compunction to leave a tip.

Reply to
Hazey

You mean 300kph?

I've seen middle aged women go faster.

Nice to Cannes. Don't remember the speed limit but

That's nothing. In Paris on the Pheripherique highway in the city center and in the tunnels (watch Ronin) where Princess Diana died we drove at over 230kph.

At 200kph, whether you're in a MB or an Abrams tank, if you crash you're dead.

cp

Reply to
cp

What's impressive about 200kph? Toyota Corollas will do that.

200kph on the autobahn is only impressive if you're in three lanes of bumper to bumper traffic and everyone else is doing 200kph, or around there. Just have to watch out for non-euro tourists, from my experience.

Till it crashes at that speed. To survive a crash at that speed requires mostly luck.

I'm embarrassed to use credit cards around Europeans, they might think I'm poor, and by their standards I would be, being a typical debt laden north american.

The standard of living in the US AND Canada (we're NO better) would be akin to eastern Europe if the typical person's credit card was taken away.

cp

Reply to
cp

Nice to Cannes. Don't remember the speed limit but

in the tunnels (watch Ronin) where Princess Diana died

Agreed, it's very dangerous to drive at a much higher speed than the other traffic. If you're passing with a 100 Kph speed difference and the other guy makes a mistake you're both dead. Not much time to react...

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

traffic. If you're passing with a 100 Kph speed

Well, I have no problems with civilized "speeding", it depends on the skill of the drivers and the quality of the highway. Let's just say I definitely do not drive fast in Canada OR in the US, where 160kph+ can get you in jail as four people I know of experienced.

It's just that some people stupidly think that if they're in a safe car then they'll survive a crash at any speed.

cp

Reply to
cp

traffic. If you're passing with a 100 Kph speed

to react...

the drivers and the quality of the highway. Let's

can get you in jail as four people I know of

they'll survive a crash at any speed.

When was the last time you heard of somebody in a 126 with their seat belt on (sorry, di) that bought the farm? You don't automatically die at 200 kph in an MB. An F150, yes....

Reply to
Richard Sexton

(sorry, di) that

Well, my brother and I do, don't want to fly 30ft through the windshield like a friend did. On the other, had he had his seat belt on he'd have drowned in the ditch his car flipped over into......hmmmmm...

No, my point is that at that speed, if the driver loses control it's almost impossible to regain it and if the car slams into something, it does not matter how tough it is.

As for Princess Diana, she died in a w140 600 and this is what a car looks like slamming into a non-moveable solid at 170kph

Gotta admit though, that thing is definitely a tank, to take such a hit and splinter.

cp

Reply to
cp

(sorry, di) that

a friend did. On the other, had he had his seat belt

impossible to regain it and if the car slams into

like slamming into a non-moveable solid at 170kph

I'm glad I bought 8 new tires after I almost had a blowout recently. I regularly do 140 kph and you don't want to lose control at that speed, not even in a Benz.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

(sorry, di) that

friend did. On the other, had he had his seat belt

impossible to regain it and if the car slams into

My point is if you have your sealt belt on (UNLIKE Di) then as the car absorbs energy you have a chance of living at say 200 kph. In an F150 you have zero chance.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

OOPS, I meant to write "to take such a hit and NOT splinter".

cp

Reply to
cp

regularly do 140 kph and you don't want to lose control at

I wouldn't go cheap on tires either, most people don't realize what a difference there is between a worn and new set of threads.

cp

Reply to
cp

Oops, sorry I misunderstood =)

You sent me a link to your site regarding fluids for w108/109/110, can you send it again?

Thanks, cp

Reply to
cp

As Princess Di will testify.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Quite a nice article, even if it contains some errors.

For a start a Kneipe is bar/pub in general, not just an apple-wine-boozer.

I rather like Frankfurt but, I suppose, that's caused by my having some personal connections.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Hallo, since i am from Germany and live actually only 70 miles from Frankfurt am Main (be aware that there are sveral Frankfurts in Germany) I drive normally speeds between 60 and 100 Miles per hour on the Autobahn which is much more comfortable with the normaly more or less grouded streets. On more and more Autobahns there are speedlimits between 60 and 80 miles/hour (100-130km/h). Even when there is no speedlimit there is a so called Richtgeschwindigkeit of 130km/h wich means if something bad happens above this speed and you are innocennt of the accident, then you will be punished regardless because you drove to fast, even technically when it is allowed to drive so fast as you like.

To the use of creditcards in Germany: the usage of creditcards in Germany is increasing. But the usage of creditcards is still reseved for high pricing goods, better restaurants and gasstations. There are several reasons for not using creditcards for Germans:

  1. there are no real creditcards in Germany. We have debitcards which are only labeled creditcards.This means on the end of the month we pay the full debt of the card .There is no higher creditlimit involved which can be dragged into the next month. We have socalled Girokonto or Kontokorrentkontos for the purpose of getting shorttime credit.
2.Creditcards tend to have expensive yearly costs.

So only people who travel in foreign countrys have creditcards. I have two.One Mastercard from my housebank and a Visacard from Mercedes which has no yearly costs.

But don´t worry most Germans know the different payingcustom of our overseaguests and nobody things you are poor because you have no cash.

Greetings Max

cp schrieb:

bumper traffic and everyone else is doing 200kph, or

poor, and by their standards I would be, being a typical

eastern Europe if the typical person's credit card

Reply to
Max Richter

She wasn't wearing a seat belt. All bets are off. OTOH Barry Sheeen came off his Motorcycle at Daytona at 187 mph and was fine.

(I hope I didn't drive you crazy by quoting your message properly and deleting all that irrelevant material.)

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I decided not be anally retentive... ;-)

Yes, she wasn't, and the chap who was survived. Coming off a motorbike is different; less likely to smash your head against a windscreen.

In fact, if I had read further down the thread I probably would not have bothered with this post since 'suitable' Di references were made...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Yes, the other one, on the Oder, seems to be shaping up "nicely" from its commie past.

I bet in 10 years 130km/h will be the maximun allowed. This has to be done gradually of course. Just like gun control here in Canada.

=)

cp

Reply to
cp