How much weight can PT carry?

I have to pick up some blocks for a wall. They are 16 wide by 4 high and 10 deep and weigh 40 pounds each. What would be the maximum I could load into my PT Cruiser without
risking damage? I would have to move them about five miles.

Check the owner's manual for that information.
Check the "Vehicle Safety Certification" sticker thats inside the drivers door jamb.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

RTFM. ----------- Alex
I want to thank all of you (especially Alex) for the replies.By suggesting the recommended places for an answer, I now know the following:
1st seat - 2 passengers 2nd seat - 3 passengers Luggage - 115 pounds. Total weight - 865 pounds
However, I wasn't planning on placing some in the front passenger seat, some more in the rear passenger seat(s), and some (115 pounds worth) in the rear in place of luggage. I had planned on putting them in the rear area which is to be used for carrying material. Once again, thanks for the input!! Especially you, Alex!!

Plain and simple. The other posters did answer your question.
The total weight in cargo you can carry safely is the 865 lbs, minus the weight of the driver. Your best bet would be to remove the rear seats and distribute the weight evenly over the expanded cargo area.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Well, did you read the manual? Most will also tell you about distributing the load. ---------------- Alex
TomKan wrote:

What is the Max GVWR? It is usually stamped on a plate on the door jamb or somewhere on the vehicle. What is the empty weight? How much do you weigh? Take the GVWR, subtract the empty weight, subtract your weight, and then divide what is left by 40.
Matt
TomKan wrote:

high
Weight-wise probably 500-600 pounds is about the most you'd want to load in the back, but the weight is not the only consideration.Securing the load is also important. You'll need to rig up something to prevent the blocks from moving around and doing damage, such as some heavy(thick-walled I mean) carboard boxes, or a temporary open-topped box made with scrap plywood or particle board

high
"Weight-wise probably 500-600 pounds is about the most you'd want to load in the back, but the weight is not the only consideration.Securing the load is also important. You'll need to rig up something to prevent the blocks from moving around and doing damage, such as some heavy(thick-walled I mean) carboard boxes, or a temporary open-topped box made with scrap plywood or particle board" ===========================================================keep the speed under 90 MPH and make no very sudden stops and for going ONLY 5 miles, extra care in "securing the blocks" will be overkill.

IMO way to fast for any load. I'd not exceed 40mph with that load of blocks.

For sure.

Nope, you can be in an incident in the first block.

Site Timeline