will I regret buying a 98 ML320?

I have been looking at the ML 320 line (98-00) and actually met a lady with one locally here (not for sale) but struck up a conversation with her about her vehicle, she stated she bought it new and it has 64K on it but she has had it in the shop repeatedly for problems with the electrical system, the heater, the radio and also mentioned the interior trim falls apart often. I had just asked her if she recommended them or not, and she said Mercedes YES (she also owned a E300) yet the

98 ML320 she wouldn't recommend overall for all its quirks..

I wondered was 98 the first year the ML line was made? Is it known for issues like these or possibly is hers just a bad seed exception? Are

99 and up models improved in any ways over the 98's in terms of problems etc?

Just looking for some input, was surprized to hear her say it has given her so much trouble, and she did comment on how GREAT her E300 was, so she wasn't just bashing MB...

Thanks for any input or replies about this series and or years that are better or worse to look into..

Bill :)

Reply to
TallGuy

Early MLs especially seem to be known for problems.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Yes, you will regret buying a 98 ML320.

Reply to
Alan

Not only will you regret it, you will kick yourself in the ass several times.

RichieP

Reply to
RichieP

The ML models, especially the early years, appear to have the lowest quality of all MB models. This is from many posts here also well documented by Consumer Reports.

Buy a E320 if you want a MB.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

What years of E320 with AWD or without it.

Reply to
dbmethods

E320 (or any car) - the newer the better and without AWD, unless you have a real need for AWD.

Basically, keep to as simple and standard a car as possible for YOU will be paying the repair bills.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Ok I got my answer on the 98 ML320,

and I know there were more than the normal amounts of problems with the 98'w, but did 99 or 00 get any better quality or issue wise?

Reply to
TallGuy

The person who was the service manager at my dealership and is now in charge of new car repairs said that the 1998 ML was something to stay away from but

Reply to
marlinspike

I have a 2001 ML320 that has had at least $8K worth of warranty work .

Motor mounts, power steering pump, harmonic balancer, differential seals, master cylinder, 2 batteries, 4 trip computers, power window switches, door insulation, grease from the power windows rolling up, 2 electrical problems that shut the vehicle down (once while driving), 3 sunroof repairs (including one time when the parts fell into the car), 3 accelerator cables (the last one which still feels sticky after only 3 weeks) and a few other things that I'm too lazy to go downstairs and look at the papers for...

I routinely bring my ML in for service every 6 to 8 months.

Considering that this vehicle is only 3 1/2 years old, well - need I say more? I'm looking at a BMW next week and will willingly take the loss (trade in is a little over $20K on a car that cost $43K). I could have almost bought 2 American vehicles and used one for parts...

RichieP

Reply to
RichieP

You did buy an American vehicle. ML series are made in Alabama.

Damlier/Chrysler: The best of American engineering and German design.

Howard

1972 4.5 SEL (the last of the MBZ's made with bolts)
Reply to
Howard Nelson

This would depend on what you are looking for. Personally, I have had only one warranty related issue (which may have been my fault anyway). If you are looking for a car with great sporting ability then no, don't go for one. It takes corners a bit like a ship on the ocean waves and pot holes can sometimes be likened to being on a rollercoaster. I recently had a new E class as a courtesy car because someone rear ended me whilst I was stationery at red traffic lights (is an ML not big enough to see for gruds sake?) However, whilst my bumber and the lower tailgate 'lip' were scored enough to warrant replacement, her hyundai accent was a write off with her bumber and bonnet being squished up to her windscreen. Which was nice. Anyhoo, the on road performance was superior in the E class (which was an estate) so this is definitely somehting to look at. However, I would not swap mine over given the chance. I do love my ML. I think it looks great, the 350 engine is also great and shifts like a beastie. I have more figgin' room and cubby holes than I need for me/wife/kids which was the main reason for purchase but we still can all travel in a lovely car. I am also greatly impressed with the safety (obviously) but also road handling. I swapped to the E class during the middle of some bad weather here, serious rains and winds and the ML outperformed the E class here for sure.

As i said it does depend on what you need out of the car, i needed big load space and practicality more than anything, but i love the car anyway, i still throw the odl beast around, getting the revs up to max in the 3.7 litre lump is good, give it try and makes ya choice.

-- Christopher Thirkell

Reply to
CT

Point taken. However, while the vehicle may have been assembled in the US, I don't think it is really classified as an American car. Perhaps what I should have said was - a German branded vehicle.

RichieP

Reply to
RichieP

As previously mentioned, the early M-Class's were built in the USA. However, as the build quality was piss poor, ze Germans built a plant in Europe to manufacture European ML's to a higher standard than the yank version. I think you'd be safe with the face lift version. That said, the ML was never intended to be a 4X4 Limo. The plastics will creak and rattle. But nothing that the stereo won't drown out. The 320 is quite thirsty. 270cdi might be a better option.

Reply to
lee.hewing