1974 MGB - engine and gear box oil recommendation

Hi all,

I have a 1974 MGB GT (last of the chrome bumbers) and could use a recomendation as to what oil I should use in the engine and gear box.

As I understand, the gear box takes normal engine oil ?

Help me before I make a dreadful mistake !

Many thanks for your time. Neil.

Reply to
neil

Use same grade of engine oil for both the engine and gearbox.

Exact grade will vary according to your season Winter north Canada / Central Australia etc. Where are you?

Use an EP hypoid grade 80/85/90 for the rear axle.

Cheers Ian F

Reply to
Bot

You are right, the gearbox does use engine oil. If I remember correctly the hand book recommendation was 20W-50 oil for both.

Reply to
Nick Mason

Thanks for the replies.

A closer check of my haynes manual does suggest 20W/50 for both engine and gearbox.

I think I'll have a go at checking the rear axle ...

Thanks again. Neil

Reply to
neil