help stabbing transmission into engine (early '74 B)

Guys,
Against standard procedure, I removed my transmission with the engine still in the car. Not I'm trying to get it back in, and can't make the last few
inches. I suspect the sudden resistance involves the splines. The clutch was not disturbed while the transmission was out, and the hole looks clear viewed from behind (I rigged up a camera and used my computer as a video monitor.). I've tried levering the engine down, jacking it up, and approaching from just about every angle and rotation position. Any ideas?
TNX! Dave
no wrote:

In gear - Turn the tailshaft so that the input shaft splines will slot into the clutch plate.

Thanks, I'll try it.