Starting problems

My previously easy starting 1275 Midget won't play any more. I took the car out last Friday (9th September) for a late summer spin on a nice warm sunny day around North Norfolk - very pleasant! However I noticed each time I went to restart the car it was become a little more reluctant to turn over despite the fact that there was no ignition warning light (and yes it is working) and the engine was thoroughly warm. When I tried to start the car on Tuesday the ignition produced a good strong click but nothing else. I have changed battery for a new one to no avail. On one occasion only I managed to persuade the starter motor to turn slowly briefly (it produced grinding noise ) but nothing since. I have tested and there is power to the starter motor. Before I go off and spend good money on an exchange starter is there any other possible explanation - as far as I can tell all the power leads are well connected? Also do exchange starters come with the bendix fitted?

Reply to
new.ntlworld.com

I've had this with a battery terminal that was loose, but also and more likely in your case, where the starter motor teeth are worn and jamming in the starter ring.

On a more modern car, I replaced the starter and all was well, but my old 1981 car has it where the flywheel is the problem. With that, I just hold the key in the "start" position even though nothing is happening and it eventually bursts into life.

If sufficient power is getting to the starter, I can't think what else might cause this, but obviously if there was something like a piston ring jammed in a bore that would do similar things.

Reply to
Questions