Sudden loss of pwer

Hi all,

I've come out of lurker mode to seek a little advice :-) I have an MG Midget that I do not know that much history. It has is an american import, and has a 1275 low emissions engine that has been tweaked to some extent. It has a Weber DCOE 40 carb, and my suspicions are that it is this that causes me problems.

It is prone to sudden power loss. I can drive it for a while then suddenly (in 4th gear, but not at stupid speeds) the engine kinda cuts out. It doesn't stall as such but it will suddenly lose power, needing me to bring it to a standstill by the side of the road. It kind of feels like no (or very little) fuel is reaching the engine - but this may be a red herring...

It will often not restart straight away (the starter seems unable or unwilling to turn it - is this a clue???), but usually after a while it will set off again.

Any thoughts on where I should start looking?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards,

Phil

Reply to
SpyderMan

Hi Phil, Before you start thinking about dismantling your starter motor, check thoroughly the main battery connections ( no corrosion or chemical gunge I hope) and, of course the main engine earthing strap. It is most likely to be something simple ( and inexpensive). best 0f luck P

'67 MGB '97 MGF

Reply to
Pointer

Hi,

Many thanks to those who contacted me on and off the ng - with lots of good pointers. A few seperate pbs have been identified :

- The fuel tank contained a *lot* of water. Drained and fuel pipes checked etc.

- The ignition had contact breaker points that were very badly adjusted. Possible issues when the temp changes..

- The electrics have had a good going over and the earth has been, erm.... "somewhat improved" :-)

I'll keep you posted, many have suggested some mods (many were on the list anyway), but particularly the fuel lines/filter/pump and some kind of optical ignition will probably now get moved higher up the list of things to do. I'm not an originality freak, but I do like to try and keep the mods as "period" as possible, and there's plenty to be done on both of these points, without ruining the MG spirit...

Again, thanks to all - great feedback and some downright pleasent people

- as rare on ng's these days as Midgets on the french roads ;-)

Kind regards,

Phil

Po> Hi Phil,

Reply to