Oil Filter

I am interested in a Mini convertible. 2006 or maybe wait to see what happens with the design change coming in 2007. Anyway, I owned a VW GTI VR6 until two years ago. I really liked it except for the repeat visits to the dealer to fix this and that under warrenty.

One of the things that surprised me about the VR6 was that regular oil change places didn't stock the oil filter as it was a special VW one.

Is the Mini that way?

Reply to
Augustus

You're thinking on spending what, £12k - £16k on a car, and you're worried about a £12 oil filter ?

Weird.

Oil changes are covered by TLC anyway, and only need to be done every other

50years / 600 million miles.... !!
Reply to
Brownz (mobile)

£12 quid oil filter, your getting ripped off there Brownzie, You can get 3 for that price here in Liverpool ;-)

and if I where spending 12-16K on a car, I would like to think its going to give me the best service, so in return I would do oil changes every 12 months or 10,000 miles, the cost is worth the piece of mind, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Mini dealers are far and few between in the United States, and I don't expect to find a lot of them in the western states like Montana and Wyoming. In fact there aren't anyway. The closest dealers are in Salt Lake City or Denver.

Therefor, if I need to get an oil change, I'd like to be able to have done by whoever is around. While in Charlotte North Carolina I would take it to the local dealer for TLC.

The original question. Is a specific filter for the Mini or is it some kind of general filter?

Reply to
Augustus

I was in a Pep Boys the other day, and they did have the filters for a Mini - it is a paper element that you replace (i.e. not the whole metal filter like many are.)

If you are worried about it - just buy some filters when you find them, or get them mail order.

If you don't change the oil yourself, just take the filter into the oil change place - maybe ask for a couple of bucks off the service for using your own filter.

Reply to
J. Patrick Brandt

I would assume the filter is the same as the small engine BMWs but thats only an assumption, as J P Brandt suggested...... Mail order is the way to go,

I have changed both oil filter types and they do look similar, one other thing I have noticed about these new generation oil filters, if the oil filter is neglected, or goes past it scheduled change, then it falls to bits, almost like a wet biscuit, Has anyone else noticed this, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

WIX lists a 57303 as the filter for a Mini Cooper 02 to 06

TOM

Reply to
Tired Old Man