2005 Mini Cooper Convertible Top won't close

I have a 2005 Mini Cooper Convertible. Top was down. When the top was raised, it stopped after pushing the roof frame forward to the windshield frame. Then it stopped, and the red light started flashing rapidly. That was repeated again a day later.

This morning, I went to the garage to see if the top could be latched and sunroof closed manually. I found the screw and turned it according to the Mini Owners manual. I could not however, figure out how to remove the cover from the center of the cross-bar so the manual crank could be used. Three of us worked for almost two hours to decipher the poorly written instructions in the manual and correlate those to the actual product and could not figure it out.

Has anybody out there got a suggestion for closing the top for the trip to the dealer as rain showers in middle America are always a possibility?

TIA for any advice or assistance.

Reply to
Tom