MaxLife Oil Filter

Just saw an ad for the MaxLife oil filter. It is made by Purolator and sold by Valvoline. According to their web site, it is intended for cars with over 75,000 miles and prevents sludge.

My question is: can I safely use it on my low mileage '03 Camry 3.0L V6? I simply want to use a better than the regular filter.

There have been some posts about sludge forming in Toyotas and perhaps this would help. Yes? No?

Any feedback on this subject?

Reply to
Wayne55dud

In general, the Purolator filters are well thought of, but the real answer to your question lies in the results of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) tests numbered J806 and J1858. Ask the manufacturer for these results and then compare them to others. For extra credit, post the results here so we can all learn something.

Reply to
Nobody Important

Maxlife oil for high mileage cars has special chemical additives that help cure worn/leaky valves and other similar conditions that can cause excessive oil use or even burning oil.

If the Maxlife filter has these same chemical additives in it, then it would most certainly cause damage to a relatively new engine. In fact, the chemicals in Maxlife oil make it thicker, and more likely to cause sludge than regular oil.

If you want a "better than the regular filter" try the Fram X2 ($10) or Mobil 1 (about $12).

But a filter has little to do with sludge. Use a full synthetic oil like Mobil 1 5W-30 and you will not get sludge. You can extend to oil change interval with Mobil 1 to (maximum 7.5K miles) to help offset the extra cost.

If you still can't afford a full synthetic, use a synthetic blend oil (available from Mobil and many other manufacturers).

Reply to
Mark A